Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage G-400 SG

Bozo

Hi! First post here. [biggrin]

So I've had my Vintage G-400 SG for a while now and was pretty happy with it. It has that SG tone to it but sometimes it lacks just a bit in tone (a tad muddy). I'm happy overall with the pups. I'd adjusted them and still miss something. I thought I'd try an electronics upgrade before replacing them. I got an RS kit and just put that in, it was just what I was looking for. The tone has cleaned up and the controls are really responsive but still has the SG flavor - pups are staying in! [thumbup]

Anyone else have one of these great guitars??

I have a G-400 Custom (3 pups, no vibrola), it was the first Epi I got, don't play it much now, it has gold h/w and Epi's idea of gold plating is rather lacking.

Welcome to the forum Bozo, good people and advice here.

welcome to the forum [biggrin].

My favorite Epiphone is my G400. It was a recent purchase that i got second hand, and after a little bit of fiddling and a pick-up change I can't put it down [love] .

I am choosing it over guitars that cost my 4 times as much!

I have a 2004 MiK Vintage faded brown with the neck binding and SD pups. Absolutely beautiful guitar and the feel and sound are amazing. I picked her up used with the new pups already installed and I wouldn't change a thing. Extremely low action and a very fast neck. I hardly even pick up my Les Paul since I got the SG.

Bought a new G400 (ebony) in 2006. I had new wiring, and new caps (.05uf) put in. I also had the pups wired for independent control.

I noticed a significant difference. I kept the stock pups in. Put in a TUSQ nut. And I replaced the switch with a switchcraft.

It is still one of my favorite guitars. :)

Archived