Gibson Brands Forums

Country music and Gibsons

Tman

Hey, I didn't chew gum even during the Eisenhower admin.

Never cared much for it. A little plug at times in those years, maybe a roll-your-own Bull Durham.

Y'talk about some stories from the olden days... This one reminded me that I actually met Harry Truman after he was prez.

But the ice cream parlor - malt shop? Hey, ours was next door to a local bank in the '50s. The high school kids would play the juke box after school and sometimes there'd even be a little dancing.

The banker next door didn't care for that new "rock and roll" stuff. One Friday afternoon he came next door from the bank and asked the proprietor, Avon Plumlee, how much he made on the juke box. A nice green bill (I don't remember what denomination, after all it was over 50 years ago) changed hands and as the banker walked out, he pulled the plug on the juke box. <grin>

m

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, of course, back then...IF you got into trouble at school,

you got into TWICE as much, when you got home. Unlike today

(too often), parents sided with the teachers and the administration,

and we were held responsible, for our actions, not only by the

school faculty, but by our parents, too. And property destruction,

however minor, We paid for it's repair, or replacement...period!

We understood "NO," and "You can't do that, without consequences,"

we may not have liked it, anymore than they do now, but we respected,

and dealt with it. If we needed it, We got paddled/swats, by the coaches,

or the shop teacher, as well as the principle! The girls got it, from

the Home Economic's teacher, or the Girl's PE teacher. Guess what, no long

term damage, to our bodies or minds, was done. We (now, and even then)

admitted we needed it, and even smiled/laughed about it, then, and now.

CB

If we needed it, We got paddled/swats, by the coaches,

or the shop teacher, as well as the principle!

In 1976 as a sophomore in High school I was being taught history by one of the coaches. He made the statement that Buffalo were extinct. I raised my hand and corrected him saying no they weren't because I saw one just the last weekend. He said you're thinking of bison. I said, "same thing". I got a spanking that knocked me to the ground. In front of the whole class. I probably could have said it in a better way, perhaps with some respect. That's where I failed at my attempt.

My first fall at a boarding school back east while my Dad was in grad school had a teacher in one class who kept riding a certain country boy basically for being a hick from the sticks "way out west." What I said in return after a month or so of that was far, far worse. In retrospect I'm surprised I wasn't tossed out of school. I'll add that T. Rush's brother had been a year or so earlier from the same school. <grin>

Luckily I was just put into a different class for the same subject.

m

Milo, you'll recall that I was one of the very first people ever kicked out of high school because I wouldn't cut my hair.

I was out for a month... I finally was forced to get a hair cut when the State of California pulled my theatrical permit and I was forced off stage until I was back in school.

I've posted some of the articles from back then, (1966), before. You would have been in college by then, I suspect.

Rob...

Graduated high school '63. From then it was an odd college career of in, then out... finally talked into quitting to be full time wire editor at a daily newspaper in '66. Cupla promotions, a move... still played for money too.

Funny thing is military wouldn't take me but later on I ended up awfully close with Army NG and yet later USMC. That latter even got me to meet Gunny Hathcock at a USMC birthday banquet. I'm proud to have been able to shake his hand.

I still figure the two rockers spell "gunnery sergeant" stedda S1C. <grin> Drives my Army friends nuts. In fact... gotta sign off to go take pix of promotion ceremonies in half an hour. Friends are gearing up for overseas assignment as a horizontal construction unit. Same folks were in Iraq and held an extra 3 months 'cuz they're good. Darn it in ways...

My own hair got kinda shaggy, never "long." I always liked it longer in winter, but more for comfort in the cold than "style." Personally I didn't want the hair long 'cuz of other stuff I did.

m

Archived