Gibson Brands Forums

Sorta lost guitar

Hungryhuntergirl

Years ago my aunt and grandma bought my dad a nick Lucas special to take to Germany with him while he was stationed there. Johnny Cash happened to be stationed with him and he learned to play on my dads guitar and later they formed a band called the landsburg barbarians. After they got out dad started a family and settled down to so some military testing where got exposed to radiation and later died from leukemia and passed away, which Johnny cash sent money to help with medical bills so mom sent the guitar to Johnny as a thank u. Now the guitar is who knows where, are there any avenues of finding out where it might be? If u want to see what it looks like just you tube this is your life Johnny cash and it is in part 2.

I'd agree, write to his family or estate and see if they can help track it down. Johnny was such an inspiration to me over the years, i'm just sad i never got to meet the man who is the legend Johnny Cash!!

Who knows?

I wouldn't and don't want to rain on your parade, but , maybe the people that own it don't know about it,

worst, it might not even exist anymore... I hope that you DO indeed find the info. you are seeking, and it is good news...

Maybe a Johnny Cash museum to check as well... Good Luck..msp_drool.gif

Unfortunately, the Cash's family home burnt to the ground a year or two ago. Unless it was in their museum, it is likely that it may be gone.

I'd second the notion that the best way to know for sure would be to contact Carlene Carter via her record company or management agency, or possibly even her MySpace page.

She's real people and I'm sure she'd be glad to help if she can.

I had supposedly been hooked up with the lawyer handling the estate and was told that he had many guitars but there was no record of this one, and I also know that they had a malfunction of the sprinklers at one time in the museum and a lot of guitars were damaged. However he told my mom that he was going to put it in his private collection in his vault at his house. I think I may try some of the contacts y'all suggested and see where it takes me!!

Years ago my aunt and grandma bought my dad a nick Lucas special to take to Germany with him while he was stationed there. Johnny Cash happened to be stationed with him and he learned to play on my dads guitar and later they formed a band called the landsburg barbarians. After they got out dad started a family and settled down to so some military testing where got exposed to radiation and later died from leukemia and passed away, which Johnny cash sent money to help with medical bills so mom sent the guitar to Johnny as a thank u. Now the guitar is who knows where, are there any avenues of finding out where it might be? If u want to see what it looks like just you tube this is your life Johnny cash and it is in part 2.

Some time after Johnny's Death, (June had died a few months before) The House of Cash was sold to one of the Brother's Gibb. During renovations, it burned to the ground. Apparently, the wood sided home and wood paneled inside had been soaked with wood preservative, a perfectly normal maintenance practice. Wood preservative is primarily fuel oil and paraffin. The fuel oil dissolves the paraffin and allows it to soak into the wood. Usually, within a few hours, the fuel oil evaporates, leaving the paraffin deep inside the wood to repel water. Before the fuel had completely flashed off, it was ignited. Preservative containers have printed warnings to put out pilot lights and to not smoke near the wet wood. Without warning it burst into flame. No one knows what sparked the flame, it could have been anything from a careless cigarette to a pilot light or static electricity.

At the time of the fire the Cash family contents had been removed. I'd heard that a year or two later, his youngest son, John Carter Cash, as executor, was liquidating the estate. Johnny and June had many instruments. Many, but not all, were sold. I suspect instruments with personal significance or sentimental value would have been kept by the family. If John, the younger, knew the story behind the guitar once owned by your family, he may have kept it... or not. There is a website, http://www.johnnycash.com/ that I think is run by one of his daughters from his first marriage to Vivian Liberto. Maybe you could contact the family that way.

One daughter, Roseanne has her own website. http://www.rosannecash.com/ Maybe you can contact her that way.

I remember reading in the "American Recordings" cd a handwritten piece by John saying he'd had a Gibson stolen. I would also think during his drinking/drugging days many things were lost as well.

Best of luck.

I think you'll be wasting your time, especially talking abut it here, If you already have contacted the estate what is your motive to talk about it here? I do feel for your loose of your father, although the guitar was a gift by your mother and while you might would like to have it back there is no obligation of that family to return it if they have the same "love for it".

Geez u r a friendly fella, my reasoning behind posting on here is that there weren't many nick Lucas specials made and one that was associated with Johnny Cash would be easily recognized and if found my family as a whole would like to purchase it back if the seller would part with it.

Although it sounds like a normal guitar and very well might have been sold or destroyed; either way good luck on your quest.

Geez u r a friendly fella, my reasoning behind posting on here is that there weren't many nick Lucas specials made and one that was associated with Johnny Cash would be easily recognized and if found my family as a whole would like to purchase it back if the seller would part with it.

-Hungryhuntergirl

Nevermind Eyore... he means well, he just seems to find a way to couch everything in a negative, somehow. He's a good sort of fellow and can be a wealth of knowledge if you can just get past his Debbie Downer demeanor.

Let us know how it turns out!

Thanks y'all for the support and help, I

Was 10 when dad died and my brothers were in college and did not know she sent it away. We all grew up listening to dad play the guitar and listen to all the stories about the " traveling guitar" because everyone in the landsbug barbarians played it at one time or another. It had been inlayed with mother of pearl and had some beer stains on it but it was one of the things dad cherished. I know mom felt at the time like she owed it to him with dads bills (he was in the hospital for 6 weeks and in icu on the vent for most of that) not to mention having that feeling of being alone after losing your spouse.

My wife's aunt lives in the last house in a nice subdivision neighborhood that borders the entrance to John Carter Cash's 80 acres and she sees him and talks with him every now and then; I'll see if I can get her to get him to give you his email; or at least get his address where you could write him.

My wife's aunt lives in the last house in a nice subdivision neighborhood that borders the entrance to John Carter Cash's 80 acres and she sees him and talks with him every now and then; I'll see if I can get her to get him to give you his email; or at least get his address where you could write him.

That would rock!

Welcome to the Forum man!

Archived