Gibson Brands Forums

The Les Paul Studio for which I plan to Terrorize!

Andy R

So here is the 92 Studio I got on the cheap. I plan on pretty much doing everything I can to turn this into a "Customized" Custom/Randy Rhoads tribute.

Initial plans: (Turn away now if you can't stand for Gibsons to be hacked on!)

- Install custom style binding around the body

- Replace the fretboard and install Ebony Bound fingerboard with Abaolone (maybe some other material) Deluxe style inlays. Maybe some other pattern if I get into it enough.

- Replace headstock veneer with black vaneer and inlayed Abalone "Gibson" logo. Might do the Diamonds or a RR Randy Rhoads Rolls Royce Symbol instead.

- Gold, Tone Pros Bridge and tailpiece

- Maybe gun oiled neck instead of nitro finish.

Mwahhaahaaahaaaa!!!!!!!!!

By the way I asked this in the Les Paul forum (50 some views and no answer!) but does anyone know if all the 92 Studios were "Lite" versions and did they come with a pick Gaurd or was that an after market bolt on?

post-27412-092213700 1291841374_thumb.jpg

Modding Gibbies is not frowned upon by forum members here Andy...And since you know how to do it, all the better....Remember, before and after pictures...

May I ask, (not a thread highjak I hope), a friend wants to modify the inlays on his Epi SG; what he wants will probably require adding inlays on top and in conjunction with the current inlays. Can this be done, and where online or otherwise can we learn how to do this ?? And I'm sorry for the thread interuption.....( thanks ).

Modding Gibbies is not frowned upon by forum members here Andy...And since you know how to do it, all the better....Remember, before and after pictures...

May I ask, (not a thread highjak I hope), a friend wants to modify the inlays on his Epi SG; what he wants will probably require adding inlays on top and in conjunction with the current inlays. Can this be done, and where online or otherwise can we learn how to do this ?? And I'm sorry for the thread interuption.....( thanks ).

IIRC the "inlays" on an Epi are just very clever decals,

part of the entire headstock "black veneer" which is a

thicker than usual "decal".

`

Well it's been close to 20 years since I have done any "In Depth" work so I'm not sure how this might turn out. I've never installed binding on a finished guitar so that should be interesting. I have removed a fiew glue in set necks but never just a fretboard. Etc.. So I will definitely share what I learn. Stewart Mcdonalds is a good resource and I'm sure once I get to looking around I will find some more. I also have a friend that still runs a repair service so I might look him up for some answers. We shall see!

And can some please answer my question about the 92 studios?!!!! Please!!!!!

Well it's been close to 20 years since I have done any "In Depth" work so I'm not sure how this might turn out. I've never installed binding on a finished guitar so that should be interesting. I have removed a fiew glue in set necks but never just a fretboard. Etc.. So I will definitely share what I learn. Stewart Mcdonalds is a good resource and I'm sure once I get to looking around I will find some more. I also have a friend that still runs a repair service so I might look him up for some answers. We shall see!

And can some please answer my question about the 92 studios?!!!! Please!!!!!

I have done some mods to my 2008 Les Paul Studio, however nothing as extreme as what you want to do.

I have added a faux binding, by sanding the finish off to the bare wood on the binding line. It is unfinished since I do not know which product to use, which would cover it and leavee the wood to its natural colour.

If you are unsure about binding a complete guitar, then head on over to www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner and run a search for a thread entitled:

Extreme Makeover, by The Thruth.

He added binding to a Les Paul Studio's body and the fingerboard without removing the fingerboard from the guitar. Since you are changing the fingerboard, it will make the task of binding the fingerboard significantly easier because you can bind it before gluing it to the neck.

If you are unsure about anything I have done a lot of reading on these types of mods, so I can direct you to some informative threads, mainly from MLP.

Post pics of your progress!

Good Luck!

I have done some mods to my 2008 Les Paul Studio, however nothing as extreme as what you want to do.

I have added a faux binding, by sanding the finish off to the bare wood on the binding line. It is unfinished since I do not know which product to use, which would cover it and leavee the wood to its natural colour.

If you are unsure about binding a complete guitar, then head on over to www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner and run a search for a thread entitled:

Extreme Makeover, by The Thruth.

He added binding to a Les Paul Studio's body and the fingerboard without removing the fingerboard from the guitar. Since you are changing the fingerboard, it will make the task of binding the fingerboard significantly easier because you can bind it before gluing it to the neck.

If you are unsure about anything I have done a lot of reading on these types of mods, so I can direct you to some informative threads, mainly from MLP.

Post pics of your progress!

Good Luck!

Very cool Thanks man!

I cant wait to see it. I'm all about mods. The original components on my Standard are the wood, the frets, the paint, and the tip to the selector switch. Its a Jnasty custom.

Got any pics? I'd like to see that.

Archived