Gibson Brands Forums

My Tendonitis Update

rocketman

First to recap. About a year and a half ago I started to feel a lot of pain in my wrist while playing my guitar. Being the Ph.D. pigheaded moron that I am, I thought I could get the cure off the web myself. Well I did all the things they say you should do to help heal my wrist. But after 6 months of not getting better I finally decided to see a doctor. Turns out I had tennis elbow (!) and the pain was radiating down to my wrist. So I was working on the wrong part of my arm [crying].

After about 6 months of therapy on the top part of my arm I started to feel well enough to play the guitar with the same vigor as before. My technique and speed were completely gone though. I started out slowly (this moron finally learned) and I gradually got better. After another 6 months of daily guitar exercises I'm finally back to my old self.

It feels great to be back. I thought I was smart enough to figure it out myself and it caused a lot more grief than what I should have had. I hope that no one has to go through what I went through. Music is what I use to relax and I was pretty depressed for a while there.

Bottom line advice: SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY and get the proper treatment. Back to playing some Rush...

Good to hear that you can play again man! msp_thumbup.gif

I had the same thing (tennis elbow) about a year ago. Although mine only lasted for a month. It's definitely not fun. The funny thing is, I'm not a physically active person in any way. The doctor said that the reason for my tendinitis was a combination of too much guitar playing and too much computer gaming. Go figure! msp_flapper.gif

Man, glad to hear you're better. I broke my left radius many years ago and was scared to death I wouldn't get full supination back. Guitar players have special needs....

Are you sure is wasn't the fault of the PRS?

[flapper]

First to recap. About a year and a half ago I started to feel a lot of pain in my wrist while playing my guitar. Being the Ph.D. pigheaded moron that I am, I thought I could get the cure off the web myself. Well I did all the things they say you should do to help heal my wrist. But after 6 months of not getting better I finally decided to see a doctor. Turns out I had tennis elbow (!) and the pain was radiating down to my wrist. So I was working on the wrong part of my arm [crying].

After about 6 months of therapy on the top part of my arm I started to feel well enough to play the guitar with the same vigor as before. My technique and speed were completely gone though. I started out slowly (this moron finally learned) and I gradually got better. After another 6 months of daily guitar exercises I'm finally back to my old self.

It feels great to be back. I thought I was smart enough to figure it out myself and it caused a lot more grief than what I should have had. I hope that no one has to go through what I went through. Music is what I use to relax and I was pretty depressed for a while there.

Bottom line advice: SEE A DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY and get the proper treatment. Back to playing some Rush...

That's very interesting. About 6 months ago, I bought a new home gym and developed tennis elbow in my exuburance. At the same time, I developed pain on strumming wrist. So the two may have been related? I finally laid off the weights for about a month and eventually both healed up nicely. My ringtone is intro to "Spirit of the Radio"....love Rush!!

Way to go! Completely agree with your bottom line.

I've got a low level elbow pain that really doesn't interfere with anything I do. It started after an afternoon of trimming some apple trees, back in September. Between positioning the long handled lopping shear, climbing and holding onto a ladder and sawing at odd angles, the elbow was sore the next a.m. It is mucho belle grande better, but still nags me once in a while.

An addendum: If one is available, sometimes a sports medicine MD is the better choice over a GP. Same goes for shoulders.

Just what I've been told.

YMMV :)

Archived