Gibson Brands Forums

Les paul studio sounding to bassy

Rhubarb

Right,

I currently own a les paul studio.

I cant help but notice that the lower 3 strings ( E , A and D ) are coming through too heavily and in a very bassy tone.

I've tried adjusting pickup height and the height of the strings from the fretboard, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

Oh and ofcourse, i've adjusted my tone controls to 10. (If i play with them any lower the strings that i previously mentioned just dominate the whole sound.)

And yes, i have adjusted my applifier to try to reduce the bass.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated. :)

what gauge strings are you using? I would suggest going to a lower gauge.

it doesnt seem to be any of the electronics. adjusting the pickup height

and action is not gonna help anything and might cause more problems for you.

I would suggest 9's or 10's if you arent already there

What guage of strings are you using?

What pickup does it seem to be bassy on?

How did you adjust the pickups? raise or lowered them?

They're Ernie Ball super slinkys, so 9, 11,16,24,32,32 if i can remember correctly..:/

The bass is coming through too prominantly on both pickups. I tried lowering them to attempt to reduce it.

You should get a noticeable difference in tone when adjusting the tone knob. If not, then I'd say the pot has gone south.

If you do, have you got another guitar to try with the amp? Just to isolate the fault :)

i'm pretty sure the tone knob is sound, switiching between pickups isn't a problem.

Its something to do with the sound of the lower strings being amplified more than the higher strings.

i.e. when i strum a chord downwards, the bass notes are too prominant. And yes i have tried it with another guitar, its definately not a problem with the amp.

what gauge strings are you using? I would suggest going to a lower gauge.

it doesnt seem to be any of the electronics. adjusting the pickup height

and action is not gonna help anything and might cause more problems for you.

I would suggest 9's or 10's if you arent already there

don't think it would be the strings buddy, i'm using 12-52 on my LP with high output burstbuckers and can change back down to 9-42 with no sound or set-up issues at all...from reading the thread i'd say the amp is to blame :-k

don't think it would be the strings buddy, i'm using 12-52 on my LP with high output burstbuckers and can change back down to 9-42 with no sound or set-up issues at all...from reading the thread i'd say the amp is to blame :-k

...I suppose that would make sense....back to the thinking chamber!

Thinking_chamber_by_Tuninx.gif

Archived