Gibson Brands Forums

Epi SGs What to look for

Stewie

I have several Epiphone guitars and I am familiar with the LPs and the Semi Hollow guitars. I am looking for a good quality epi to leave at my vacation home. I thought about a G400 and I was wondering what to look for. I have an original 1968 Gibson SG Special, and I have played one of the newer faded Gibson SGs and really liked it.

I like the full pickguard and I was wondering what I should be looking for in an Epi G400 and what what are the better years, and countrys of origin. I have Japanese Epis and Korean. I had one Chinese LP and liked it but traded it for a couple of Strats.

What models come with the Set neck, full pickguard and have decent PAF style pickups? Even the 490/498 style would be fine as well.

Thanks for any help.

I have several Epiphone guitars and I am familiar with the LPs and the Semi Hollow guitars. I am looking for a good quality epi to leave at my vacation home. I thought about a G400 and I was wondering what to look for. I have an original 1968 Gibson SG Special, and I have played one of the newer faded Gibson SGs and really liked it.

I like the full pickguard and I was wondering what I should be looking for in an Epi G400 and what what are the better years, and countrys of origin. I have Japanese Epis and Korean. I had one Chinese LP and liked it but traded it for a couple of Strats.

What models come with the Set neck, full pickguard and have decent PAF style pickups? Even the 490/498 style would be fine as well.

Thanks for any help.

Read this thread, the '66 has the full pickguard.

The '66 does have the full guard!

I think I wouldn't concentrate on WHERE the guitar was manufactured, I'd find the one that feels and looks right!

My '07 G400 is a VERY nice guitar. Beautiful, smooth, exceptionally glossy, ebony finish. Plays and sounds excellent!

Are the pickups basically the same as the 490/498 in the Studios and early LPs? Also I tried the faded Gibson and found the neck chunky like my 68 which I don't really mind. What profile are the G400s. I have both the 60s and 50s profiles on my Gibsons.

Well I have one if the earlier faded epi sg 400's and it's fantastic! But one of my favorite things about it is that it has the cream neck binding. The newer epi's don't for some reason. I would recommend one of the older ones. I'll find out what year mine is and I'll post it for you.

Archived