Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help

JP338

Hi [smile]

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top with Seymour Ducan pickups (JB Model on the bridge and a Jazz Model on the neck) and I was thinking about selling it to a friend and buying a Gibson. I've always dreamed of owning a Gibson and now I have the chance! My amp is a Peavey Valveking 212 combo and I like the match (Guitar + Amp) but I not totally happy with my tone and I NEED a better quality instrument (I hate the bridge hardware on my Epi). I fought about buying a Tone Pros bridge but then I asked: What about stop wasting money on a Epi and go for the real thing. I play in a band (Classic Rock/ Hard Rock) for a while and I've just finished the 8th grade on classical guitar, so I fought it was the right time to get a better instrument. I love the Gibson tone, no matter if it is a Les Paul, SG, Explorer, V's, I really like the sound of each guitar. I have arround 1200 euros to spend. With that money my options are: Les Paul Studio (I dont think is it worth selling my Epi for that, though I've never played one), the SG Standard and the Explorer. (I love the Flying V but I dont want one, really). I am seriously thinking about getting the Gibson SG Standard. Do you think it is worth it? (the Gibby costs a lot)

Thanks for you time [wink]

(sorry for the bad english, I'm portuguese)

Well the Gibson SG is a great guitar but if money is tight why not just upgrade the pickups and hardware? Especially if you already have the Epi. I have heard/read that alot of people have played Epi's that sounded better than some Gibbys. Just because you buy a Gibson doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be a better player. A great guitarist can take a P.O.S. and make it sound great.

Hi [smile]

I've always dreamed of owning a Gibson and now I have the chance!

Do you think it is worth it?

(sorry for the bad english, I'm portuguese)

Jp,

That's it in a nutshell. Isn't it?

No two guitars are really the same. Even in identical models there will be differences.

I have a Gibson, a few Epiphones, a couple of Guilds and a Fender. I love them all. Each has it's own place.

The question you ask can only be answered by you.

What I will say is; if you intend to spend that kind of money do your research. Don't buy a pig in a poke.

Make sure you play a few and if you are lucky you will find the one that is right for you. I would not buy one mail order and hope it was "the one".

Remember that Clapton used to play an SG. After it was stolen he switched to Fender. When asked why he didn't just buy another SG he stated, "I've never found another like it". (So the tale is told) Who knows if it is true? Fact is, the guitar you play should be gauged in value to you...not price.

My opinion only....

Willy

P.S. Excuse my English. I am American.

Wel, JP ... I personally think you'd be settling for something if you were to give up you Epiphone LP to go for a Gibson SG. The SG is a wonderful guitar and Gibson makes fine instruments ... but an SG is NOT and Les Paul regardless of where or what factory it was made in. Not worse, not better ... just very different to my ears. You might find yourself regretting the decision over time if you are looking to get that LP tone out of the SG.

I suggest you go slowly and spend as much time playing an SG as you can before you make your final decision. You might be an SG player, in which case it'll be a good move for you ... then again, you might be a Les Paul guy (like me) after all and wait until you can afford to make the "big move" to a Gibby.

Jim

P.S. I own both Epiphone and Gibson Les Paul guitars ... they don't sound all that different from one another depending on the models you are playing and comparing. Not that there's not a lot of "mystique" and prestige in having that Gibson name on the headstock, and there's no debating things like resale value. Like you said, you're talking about a lot of money ... have fun and play a LOT of guitars while making your decision!

J.

I say go for the Gibson! If you don't you will always wonder about what could have been. The SG Standard is a sweet guitar, and will probably be my next investment to go with my Les Paul! The only thing you need to consider now is, do you want the SG sound or the Les Paul sound? The Les Paul Studio is one mighty fine instrument, and there is a difference in tone between the LP and SG, but it isn't too drastic. The SG offers the potential of better playability simply because the entire neck is free of the body and you have unrestricted access to all the frets, where on the LP you gotta work for anything past the neck / body joint. You may have to play both to see what you like, but you can't go wrong either way. Believe me when I tell you this, there is just something about having the REAL thing!

JP338,

You're "half way" to Tone Town. You should finish what you started, and you've already spent the big money on the SD's. Now, do the easy/cheap stuff.

Replace the stop bar and bridge with Gotoh instead of Tone Pro. Much cheaper and IMO as good in quality. Then, replace the ceramic caps with Orange Drops or any PIO (paper in oil) capacitors. You just need to know how to solder, and it only takes a few minutes.

Intonate the new bridge by moving all of the saddles on the Gotoh to the same position as on the stock Epi. That will get you close, then fine adjust the Gotoh. Then adjust your action. Keep adjusting until it "feels" right to you.

Then jack into your trusty amp and rip it.

These minor changes, along with the SD pups, combined with the mojo of the good wood of your Les Paul by Epiphone (blessed by Gibson) will take you "there".

A lot of us here on this forum have done this ourselves and have been overjoyed at the final results. You owe it to yourself to try this, and the best part is YOU made it that way.

If you do this, you can still sell it to you friend. But, HE will never sell it back to you!

--heretic

Hello! As far as my opinion is concerned: get a Gibson. Epis and Gibsons are "not playing in the same league" to me. Can't compare these two instruments, and it's not a myth at all. I had two Epi LPs. Had to rewire them completely because they were feedbacking so badly, because of unshielded weak wires - hence the waxed humbuckers. I had issues with fret buzzing as well. I had two Gibson LP Studios (had one in 90s, owning one right now, and getting another one in March), and never had any problems with them. The materials are far better on a Gibson, the worksmanship as well. I want to point out again: that's my experience...Others might have been luckier with their Epis, but if so, that means one thing for sure: the quality of Epis is inconsistent. Take Your time, and find the one best suits Your needs.

Archived