Gibson Brands Forums

Giving Away OEM Tuners (FOC)

BlueEpiphone

As you can see this is the Les PurPaul (Special II Plus-Top). You might also notice that I upgraded the tuning machines to nickle finish Gibsons. These were a gift (along with a 25/64 drill bit). I need an excuse to use them but the guitar will not go out of tune yet!

As promised, I will now give away a complete set (6) of original equipment Epiphone tuners. I will cover the shipping cost as far as within the CONUS. They are chrome finish and are designed for 9mm bores. These came from an Epiphone LP Special II. All six tuners are slop-free and undamaged. You'll have to ask the forum if these will fit your particular Epiphone. I seriously doubt you will ask if these fit Gibsons. Contact me via PM. if you want the set. Happy New Year to Willy and all the forum members.

post-27662-085523400 1293840759_thumb.jpg

Definitely better tuners - I have a set on each EPI LP. Something about

Tulips just finish out the look. Great Color, great look.

It's definitely a keeper, and gives you instant access to a set of GIBBY

Tulips if you should ever grab another git with chrome tuners and feel like

doing any parts interchanging!

These Gits are great vehicles for Mod/Refinish projects to "perfect your technique"!

However, with a Finish as nice as that, I would NEVER change it - just work on

"Dialing it in" as close to perfect as possible. Hmmmmmmmm....Chrome Pickups.

Hmmmmm........

PurPaul.jpg100_0561.jpg100_0564.jpg

@animalfarm: How did you do that finish on the LP II? Did it have a white finish originaly? I do want to get chrome pup covers. What effect does it have on the sound? I have a couple of Seymour/Duncan 59's and would like to try them later. I want to change all the pup rings and the other plastic stuff, etc. to creme color. P.S. I got my Epi. Lp Jr. as well. She will at least get 9mm. "greenies".

The Jr. has been trouble-free.

*Happy New Year*

@animalfarm: How did you do that finish on the LP II? Did it have a white finish originaly? I do want to get chrome pup covers. What effect does it have on the sound? [...]

animalfarms project can be seen here. [biggrin]

Pickup covers should not change the tone very much. Some say there is a difference, some say there is not.

@animalfarm: How did you do that finish on the LP II? Did it have a white finish originaly?

animalfarms project can be seen here. [biggrin]

Pickup covers should not change the tone very much. Some say there is a difference, some say there is not.

Blue - Was originally totally Alpine White, grabbed from Craigslist as a "broken Neck" guitar.

Rene - THANK YOU for the link post! That one was for a 1970's Hondo II Refinish, though. :rolleyes:

I guess after a while they all look the same. Uh-oh, maybe time to think about another Red and Gold one...

The link for the LP Special II is easy to remember for ME, because of the Thread Title:

(It's in the Epi Lounge DIY thread, under "projects and Builds" section. LOTS of projects

by members in there, BTW!)...

"Face-to-Face" with my crack - FINISHED" LP Special II Mod

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php/topic/51423-face-to-face-with-my-crackfinished/page__p__694507__hl__face-to-face__fromsearch__1#entry694507

Hmmmmmmm.... We seem to have accidentally redirected your thread - apologies.

Rene - THANK YOU for the link post! That one was for a 1970's Hondo II Refinish, though. :rolleyes:

I guess after a while they all look the same. Uh-oh, maybe time to think about another Red and Gold one...

Oh, sorry - my bad [blush]. I just skimmed it, saw the white paint, and thought: "Bingo, that's the guitar".

• 6 months later...

A bit of a necropost, my apologies. I don't post much, but I just acquired an older Epiphone "Special" model that has one broken tuner (stripped out), and is missing three of the tuner bushings. While I recognize that the stock tuners are poor, my first priority with this guitar is to get it playable for as little $$$ as possible and replacing these parts (as well as fixing some hackjob attempts at soldering by the previous owner) would do that. If someone really does have a slew of these things sitting around gathering dust, I could put them to good use. She'll never be a closet queen, but I hope to restore her to respectability, at least:

DSCF0191.jpg

(That's how she looked when I brought her home. She's cleaner now.)

A bit of a necropost, my apologies. I don't post much, but I just acquired an older Epiphone "Special" model that has one broken tuner (stripped out), and is missing three of the tuner bushings. While I recognize that the stock tuners are poor, my first priority with this guitar is to get it playable for as little $$$ as possible and replacing these parts (as well as fixing some hackjob attempts at soldering by the previous owner) would do that. If someone really does have a slew of these things sitting around gathering dust, I could put them to good use. She'll never be a closet queen, but I hope to restore her to respectability, at least:

DSCF0191.jpg

(That's how she looked when I brought her home. She's cleaner now.)

I'll send you a whole brand-new set of those stock tuners no problem, just PM me your address.

But I'd really recommend you get a new set from GFS, like just about any of these: http://store.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Three-On-A-Side_c_6.html

GFS tuners are so reasonable, and those particular no-name stock Epi tuners are so bad that it doesn't make much sense not to...

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, I did get a set of stock tuners from brianh. The funny thing is...as bad as you guys think these Special II tuners were? The ones that came off my Special (not II) were FAR, FAR WORSE. Seriously, the tuners I got from brianh feel like Grovers by comparison. LOL.

Also, FYI...the Special II tuners aren't the same as those on the Specials, and the holes don't quite line up. The bushings and shafts are the same size, though, and that's all I needed. I may still upgrade, but I don't want to increase the tuning peg hole, so my options are limited. I don't think any of those on GFS's website, for example, would fit without modification.

At any rate, I think that means the ones the OP was offering up oh so many months ago are still available.

I'd venture to say that at the low end, there is wide variability in the quality of tuners. They are likely sourced from multiple manufacturers with QC all over the map, not to mention the ones I sent you had never been used, they came off an Epi Jr. right out of the box, so no wear at all.

Anyway, gad it worked out Dager, now post up some pics of the old girl.

Archived