Gibson Brands Forums

EPIPONE EJ-160E

gorda

You didn't explain what amp your using. So here's a generic answer. Use a clean setting, back off the gain, rely more on the guitars volume than the amps volume. Mine sounds fine

through a Line 6 Spyder IV 75 using the above tips. No hum.

Hi Gorda & welcome,

I took my new EJ-160E into the Gibson warranty repair station in my city. They replaced the Pup, (under warranty) added a string grounding strap ($50) and it now sounds 100x better. Oh ya, I had the Luthier there setup the guitar too ($50). Plays almost like my electric guitars. Just make sure you are playing with electric guitar strings on that beauty. I just tried some Pyramid Gold Bright Flats on my Gibson 1962 Reissue J-160E and boy do they play & sound great, if you like The Beatles or a jazz sound that is. 11's buzzed on my new Gibby setup for .12's so I'm going to try the Pyramid's on my EJ-160E since it came w/ & is setup for .11s. Don't want to have to rework the nut on the new Gibson for the .11s yet I guess.

Hope this helps

Aster

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Tried the Pyramid 11's again on the J-160E Gibson. Loosened the truss rod nut just a touch and the fret buzz is gone. Makes since, the strings have less tension than the 12's. Plays/sounds fantastic IMHO anywho.

Aster

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aster1,do the Pyramid Gold Flats really give you that much of a Beatle vibe?I use D'Addario 10-46 XL nickel wounds on my EJ-160-E with my Vox AD-120-VTH set on AC-30 and really get a true to life Beatle 160-E sound on songs like I Feel Fine and I'll Be Back.Would the Pyramids make that much of a difference?Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Sorry I missed this reply to me. Bonzo, IMHO they just have that duller, nice Beatles sound that I like. Feel nice on my fingers too. I haven't ever put them on my EJ yet. Sad to say, I think I'm going to sell it as I always play the J-160 now. My EJ really plays nice and I would greatly recommend either making or have an additional ground installed that work thru the strings. With a new PUP really helped with the hum on my AC15 Vox.

That's what I noticed anyway. Hope that helps. Go to www.stingsandbeyond.com (best sting prices I've found & nice people too) [thumbup] and try a set of Pyramid Gold Flats in 11's and see. They seem to last forever. Still sounding and going great on my J-160E. I mean, with the ply top on the vintage made Gibson and the flats it really sounds good, IF YOU LIKE THAT BEATLES SOUND, together. I happen to like it. Also, I haven't headed into any Jazz but I have heard some playing the same type setup and it sounds like a nice archtop.

Aster

Doesn't the Epi J-160E still have the P-100 pickup, as opposed

to the Gibson P-90? If so, it should be quiet, as it's a stacked

humbucker. You may have a loose ground, or even lead wire, from

the jack, to the pickup. ??? Do your other guitars have more

noise than usual? Check the cable, and if you're in an old house,

that has no "ground" (3-prong) plug/outlet, that can cause noise,

as well, in your amp.

Good Luck!

CB

Charlie,

That's right on the PUP's for the EJ vs the J-160E on the style. I played 3-4 of the EJ's and all had really poor output & hum. Seems like I've read that here often too. I don't know how the warranty station got ahold of a higher output P-100 Pup from the factory, but they did. They said that the string grounding plate they fabricated & properly grounded would help with the hum. AND IT SURE DID. The EJ doesn't have the volume or as low of hum as my J-160E. Also, the J has a different sound from the old style Pup as well. I did see the J has additional grounding, similar to what the Warranty station (they are a full Luthier shop too) did for my EJ-160.

I'm sure everyone already know this, but if not, make sure your electric guitar amp is properly grounded thru the receptacle too!!! You can get a cheap ground tester at any DYI big box or hardware store. Checks hot to ground, neutral switched, etc. Proper ele. wiring of the wall receptacle makes a difference in hum and shock hazard too if the power transformer goes trickle voltage leaky to the chassis. Not good and I've seen that happen too many times to count with transformers & motors.

Aster

Archived