Gibson Brands Forums

pickups and their covers

krock

I have a new guitar where the pickups are mounted directly to the guitar. Is there any disadvantage to this? If no, is there a way I can attach a pickup cover jst for aestetics? If yes, should I mount it using a pickup cover?

I have a new guitar where the pickups are mounted directly to the guitar. Is there any disadvantage to this? If no, is there a way I can attach a pickup cover jst for aestetics? If yes, should I mount it using a pickup cover?

i'm fitting pup covers to my GM sig LP...just for the look, i doubt very much that it has an impact on the sound of the pups "that much if at all" [thumbup]

i'm fitting pup covers to my GM sig LP...just for the look, i doubt very much that it has an impact on the sound of the pups "that much if at all" [thumbup]

Do you know if you can fit one using only the 2 pickup screws or even without screws? Because I dont wanna drill into my new baby. She's so new my sister hasnt even had a chance to name her :L

Do you know if you can fit one using only the 2 pickup screws or even without screws? Because I dont wanna drill into my new baby. She's so new my sister hasnt even had a chance to name her :L

you can get covers that sit on the pups for the LP without soldering, not sure in your case :-k

you can get covers that sit on the pups for the LP without soldering, not sure in your case :-k

I dont actually want to mount them in the pickup ring. I jst want it for show coz it hides those cut out bits where the screws for the pickups go into

correct

Well it's cool that you don't want to hang your pick-ups from the mounting rings as I think they sound better and you get less low frequency feedback when they are hard mounted like you have them. The problem is the plastic surrounds will have the 4 mounting screws to keep them attached. You could feasibly go this route and glue some screw heads in the mounting holes so they don't look empty and then use a long wood screw and long spacers to utilize the two pick-up mount holes in the ring to hold down the ring and keep the pickup direct mounted.

What would really cool is if you know anyone who is handy with wood that could make you some custom pick-up bezels out of some cool exotic wood without the 4 mounting holes and just the 2 pick-up mounting holes and use the method mentioned above or what would really, really be cool is have them made without any holes and use some form of metal pressure spring clip to hold them in. Whatever you do don't use double sided tape!

Let us know what you do!

Regards,

Andy

Well it's cool that you don't want to hang your pick-ups from the mounting rings as I think they sound better and you get less low frequency feedback when they are hard mounted like you have them. The problem is the plastic surrounds will have the 4 mounting screws to keep them attached. You could feasibly go this route and glue some screw heads in the mounting holes so they don't look empty and then use a long wood screw and long spacers to utilize the two pick-up mount holes in the ring to hold down the ring and keep the pickup direct mounted.

What would really cool is if you know anyone who is handy with wood that could make you some custom pick-up bezels out of some cool exotic wood without the 4 mounting holes and just the 2 pick-up mounting holes and use the method mentioned above or what would really, really be cool is have them made without any holes and use some form of metal pressure spring clip to hold them in. Whatever you do don't use double sided tape!

Let us know what you do!

Regards,

Andy

Ive just realised though that if I want to attach it with only the 2 middle screws I will still have to find longer screws which can go through the surround and about 3/4 of an inch into the guitar pickup cavity. This might be difficult to find. Is there some way I can attach it with a glue or something similar which doesnt affect a guitars finish and which can be removed if I need to access the pickup cavity?

Ive just realised though that if I want to attach it with only the 2 middle screws I will still have to find longer screws which can go through the surround and about 3/4 of an inch into the guitar pickup cavity. This might be difficult to find. Is there some way I can attach it with a glue or something similar which doesnt affect a guitars finish and which can be removed if I need to access the pickup cavity?

Hmm not sure where you live but finding screws like this shouldn't be that difficult. What you could do if you cant find screws that long is drill another hole in the pick-up "foot" next to the screw that mounts the pick-up to the wood. Then you would only need a screw long enough to reach from the top of the pick-up surround to just a little bit inside the New hole you drilled in the pick-up foot. Absolutely no Glue man!!!!! If worse comes to worse then go with double sided tape. Maybe that stuff that they have that is supposed to "Peel of Clean" . The best thing would be building some hardwood pickup surounds and using a thin piece of metal that holds tension that is Bent wider than the pick up hole on each side. Then you would push in on the "Metal Clip Springs" and push the ring into place and then the metal would expand again and hold the pickup ring in place. You could probably do this yourself if you have some patience and a Dremel tool. If I get some time this week I might even try to build you a "Protype" for an example.

Andy

Hmm not sure where you live but finding screws like this shouldn't be that difficult. What you could do if you cant find screws that long is drill another hole in the pick-up "foot" next to the screw that mounts the pick-up to the wood. Then you would only need a screw long enough to reach from the top of the pick-up surround to just a little bit inside the New hole you drilled in the pick-up foot. Absolutely no Glue man!!!!! If worse comes to worse then go with double sided tape. Maybe that stuff that they have that is supposed to "Peel of Clean" . The best thing would be building some hardwood pickup surounds and using a thin piece of metal that holds tension that is Bent wider than the pick up hole on each side. Then you would push in on the "Metal Clip Springs" and push the ring into place and then the metal would expand again and hold the pickup ring in place. You could probably do this yourself if you have some patience and a Dremel tool. If I get some time this week I might even try to build you a "Protype" for an example.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Or even a quick sketch might help me to understand what your suggesting.

Thanks Andy. Or even a quick sketch might help me to understand what your suggesting.

No Problem sounds interesting. Could you remove one of the mounting screws and take a picture of it as well as provide me the length? As far as the spring clip idea if you are familiar with computer cases think about how the empty drive bay covers are "Clipped in Place" This is usually a plastic molded pressure clip but sometimes they are metal. Same concept as what I am proposing though.

Andy

No Problem sounds interesting. Could you remove one of the mounting screws and take a picture of it as well as provide me the length? As far as the spring clip idea if you are familiar with computer cases think about how the empty drive bay covers are "Clipped in Place" This is usually a plastic molded pressure clip but sometimes they are metal. Same concept as what I am proposing though.

Andy

The reason I want to mount it without screw is because I dont want to tamper with the pickup height because atm I've got it set perfectly and I dont was to disturb the equilibrium :) I think I'm starting to understand what your talking about now. Mount a spring loaded metal slip onto each of the middle screw holes. Is that what you are suggesting?

The reason I want to mount it without screw is because I dont want to tamper with the pickup height because atm I've got it set perfectly and I dont was to disturb the equilibrium :) I think I'm starting to understand what your talking about now. Mount a spring loaded metal slip onto each of the middle screw holes. Is that what you are suggesting?

Yeah pretty much but you wouldn't actually need a spring if the metal is is the right material it will act as it's own spring. Might be able to find something at an auto parts store. Maybe an interior trim clip.

What on earth are you guys talking about. All he wants to do is stick a couple plastic surrounds to the top of his guitar without drilling holes or moving his pickup heights....geez.

Go to Guitar Center, buy a pair of Gibson pickup rings.

Go to Home Depot, buy a roll of carpet tape.

Cut off a small piece of carpet tape and strip the peal coat off. Roll it into a ball size that will wedge into the corner screw holes in the bottom of the surrounds so that a small amount is protruding from the hole.

Fit it around your pickup and stick it to the top of your guitar.......DONE.

What on earth are you guys talking about. All he wants to do is stick a couple plastic surrounds to the top of his guitar without drilling holes or moving his pickup heights....geez.

Cut off a small piece of carpet tape and strip the peal coat off. Roll it into a ball size that will wedge into the corner screw holes in the bottom of the surrounds so that a small amount is protruding from the hole.

Would this damage my polyester gloss finish?

Well OBVIOUSLY tape is one way of doing it that didn't escape our Pea size brains he could also dump a bunch of Super Glue on it too! Tape is one way but I have seen and have a current good example why you don't want to use adhesive on a guitar if you would like to see it. Tape will hold for a while but if he keeps hitting the pick-up ring with his fingers over time or has to remove the ring very often then it is not a good way of doing it. I was suggesting a way for him to do it that would not only function, but would also be easily removable without risking leaving tape marks in the finish if he ever wants to sell it our not use them. Pardon me for thinking outside the box or cavity in this case.

Andy

Sounds to me like you want to have your cake and eat it, too.

If you have pickup rings, you will likely have to drill holes to fit them properly.

You will also have to readjust your pickup height.

If you don't want to drill and you don't want to disturb the delicate balance of height, you should just leave it be.

It wont be worth the trouble.

Actually I knew I had something in my mind that I think would work perfectly for this. You could use a 9 volt battery metal clip holder for your "Springs" you should be able to buy these at Radio shack or you can find them cheap on-line. Just get 1 or 2 maybe 3 so you got one to experiment with. Bend them out so the tension will be forced outward instead of inward like they are made. Cut it in half and and drill a small hole in the remaining Lip and then use a small taping metal screw or a small bolt and nut to attach them to the pick-up screw hole on the bezel. MAybe some tape around the metal to add more tension if needed and to keep it from scratching up the inside of the pickup cavity

91f7edc0.jpg

Actually I knew I had something in my mind that I think would work perfectly for this. You could use a 9 volt battery metal clip holder for your "Springs" you should be able to buy these at Radio shack or you can find them cheap on-line. Just get 1 or 2 maybe 3 so you got one to experiment with. Bend them out so the tension will be forced outward instead of inward like they are made. Cut it in half and and drill a small hole in the remaining Lip and then use a small taping metal screw or a small bolt and nut to attach them to the pick-up screw hole on the bezel. MAybe some tape around the metal to add more tension if needed and to keep it from scratching up the inside of the pickup cavity

91f7edc0.jpg

Good thinking. Ive got loads lyeing around the house from when I thought I'd start building pedals. Shame in the end I never started that project. I had all the components aswell and payed £0.00 for everything

Archived