Gibson Brands Forums

CS 356 w/ Faded Cherry, Figured Maple Top 2003

singlecoil

aaaaaabba-1.jpg

Does anyone know anything about these guitars. It is supposed to be a 2003 in good condition.. 1 owner -No reciept though..

Have any idea what this may be worth? From a Buyer standpoint..Guys asking 2500 shipped and PP that a good deal..Are these that nice of guitar?? Any help is most appreciated

Singlecoil, That is one great guitar and you would be getting it for a great price. They go for MSRP between $4,000-5,000 brand new (a little less retail). I have

a CS-336 which has much less "bling" than the CS-356, but I love my guitar. :) It has a great sound and playability. I wonder why he's selling his, though. Maybe he's on hard times and has to let his prize go, :( or maybe he found something else more to his liking. ;) Make sure you get the history behind the guitar, though, and that there isn't anything wrong with it and that's why he's selling it. Good luck!

ES345 : What did these go for in 2002 or 03 ?

I here you guys on the questions to ask. He's been forthcoming with serial number. he's original owner. etc , etc. Basic stuff. I asked him what the condition was 1-10 ..Didn't answer I asked him if it had a neck crack or break , and if not what is the worst thing wrong. He seemed to sorta skirt the answer. It's been for sale since November 11, 2010. Than I found an older thread from April 2010 where he'd listed it. It does bother me after 9 months no one has bought it. Than again maybe that's why it's down to 2500.00 He says he's just thinning the herd. Of course it's a 2003. He probably only paid 3,000 for it..Now they are 4,000 .

What things are these guitars prone to??

I did find where he's put a link in his signature that goes to a list of 20 forum members that he's done deals with..Obviously from both sides of the fence. He did say he wants to keep a good rep. This will be the first Gibson of any kind I've ever owned. Mainly a Fender guy or the like of. First hollow body ..

So I've heard this thing mellow on you-tube Does it Rock??

For $2500, I'd probably pick up a new 330 with return & warranty protection. Or a 339 for a whole lot less, especially with discount coupons, and you can compare 339s first hand because almost every GC seems to have them in stock. Remember that there can be huge differences from one sample of a model to another. This fellow's guitar might be a good example of the breed, or a clunker. You won't know till you get it in your hands. When I purchased my 339, I had three to A-B side by side. Not only did one clearly stand out tone-wise, but playability varied among all three. How's the neck angle? Could there be a twist or hump in the neck? Buying a guitar without a solid return agreement & from an unknown seller is a risky proposition, imho.

The only issue that I am aware of on these early guitars, and some later red ones, is that the red stain/dye whatever does migrate into the binding, so the binding

on the guitar can look pinkish in some areas, it mostly affects the binding on the neck. Some say it will eventually go away, however mine has remained pretty

constant and really does not look like it will ever go away. This has also affected historic Les Paul guitars over several years, i think they may have changed the formula

or procedure now.

For $2500, I'd probably pick up a new 330 with return & warranty protection. Or a 339 for a whole lot less, especially with discount coupons, and you can compare 339s first hand because almost every GC seems to have them in stock. Remember that there can be huge differences from one sample of a model to another. This fellow's guitar might be a good example of the breed, or a clunker. You won't know till you get it in your hands. When I purchased my 339, I had three to A-B side by side. Not only did one clearly stand out tone-wise, but playability varied among all three. How's the neck angle? Could there be a twist or hump in the neck? Buying a guitar without a solid return agreement & from an unknown seller is a risky proposition, imho.

While I only have had a chance to play one 339 ..It didn't compare to the 2 356's I played this last week. How could Gibson put out a 5,000 guitar and have no consistency.

Inconsistency is Gibson's middle name! Avoid judging any model in their lineup based on one sample. I'm really not kidding about the major differences in the three 339 I sampled side by side. Plugged in tone was like night & day between the good one & the other two. At any rate, best of luck with your quest.

Inconsistency is Gibson's middle name! Avoid judging any model in their lineup based on one sample. I'm really not kidding about the major differences in the three 339 I sampled side by side. Plugged in tone was like night & day between the good one & the other two. At any rate, best of luck with your quest.

I would agree with that. I'd also think than it a special run - higher end 356 things maybe a little more attention was given. Consider they are hand made..

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson makes great guitars. The Gibson manufacturing quality is questionable. I currently own four Gibsons and I have been pretty lucky compared to some of the nightmares I have heard about. You got to do your homework before buying guitars. I like to see, feel, hear a potential guitar with my amp and pedals before I buy.

BTW, I love my CS 356.

Jazz

[cool]

Archived