Gibson Brands Forums

J 200 on ebay

albertjohn

Happy New Year to you all.

Stumbled across this on ebay. Looks nice but I'm concerned about 2 things:

1. The tuners appear not to be lined up at all well. Perhaps they are replacements which have not been fitted carefully.

2. The label in the soundhole is placed to one side. Is this normal?

Not really in the market but a j200 could very easily be my next purchase in due course.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-J200-Acoustic-Guitar-1991-/200556838672?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eb21e7f10

Happy New Year to you all.

Stumbled across this on ebay. Looks nice but I'm concerned about 2 things:

1. The tuners appear not to be lined up at all well. Perhaps they are replacements which have not been fitted carefully.

Not really in the market but a j200 could very easily be my next purchase in due course.

Link missing AJ ..

Looks good and a nice case.

The tuner mounting is unusual. Normally the button stems are parallel and perpend!cular to the neck, even if the tuner backs aren't lined up. On this one the button stems are perpend!cular to the curved edge of the headstock.

KSdaddy doesn't seem too concerned.

!C!oospQBGk~$(KGrHqJ,!jQE0D4sFn6pBND3sGFKKg~~_12.JPG

By the way, its not a 1991 model. It a 1990 model made on the 305th day of the year and was the 9th guitar off the line that day.

Oh, those Gibson Deluxe tuners are generally regarded as crap and have a tendency to break. So be prepared to replace them with Gotoh Klusion replacements. The holes matchup up and its a easy change. Just hope that the finish on the peghead is in better shape than mine. This era has had problems with the peghead finish delaminating like mine did. It is difficult to make the new lacquer touch adhere to the peghead but its doable.

Example of mine

b45d2ee9.jpg

AJ - pls read my thread about my Gibson playing experience today.

I played two SJ-200 today and they were like chalk and cheese. I really believe its critical to play one or any Gibby for that matter first ... unless there is a definite return policy.

Looks good and a nice case.

The tuner mounting is unusual. Normally the button stems are parallel and perpend!cular to the neck, even if the tuner backs aren't lined up. On this one the button stems are perpend!cular to the curved edge of the headstock.

KSdaddy doesn't seem too concerned.

!C!oospQBGk~$(KGrHqJ,!jQE0D4sFn6pBND3sGFKKg~~_12.JPG

Could be the photo but these look WAY off. Must be a reason?

I agree. it looks a fine guitar.

AJ - pls read my thread about my Gibson playing experience today.

I played two SJ-200 today and they were like chalk and cheese. I really believe its critical to play one or any Gibby for that matter first ... unless there is a definite return policy.

I haven't bought a guitar from ebay yet although I have sold a few, all successfully.

Totally agree about playing first although I traded my strat a couple of days ago for another one and virtually agreed the deal without playing. If I were to buy a J200 I would definitely want to play it first.

Not in the market, just browsing with interest.

Happy New Year to you!

1. Those are the original tuners. J-200 tuners are aligned with the edge of the headstock more than with each other. This is just how they look. Here's a 1995 for comparison.

1995_Gibson_J-200_92645061_tuners.jpg

2. That's normal for this vintage (and that label style generally).

-- Bob R

Archived