Gibson Brands Forums

Speaker cab pics.

Andre S

More pics:

Final gluing and clamping of body:

DSCN3041.jpg

Cutting bracing for baffle and rear panel....what a PITA.

DSCN3042.jpg

Glued bracing

DSCN3045.jpg

Cut the ply

DSCN3046.jpg

Yikes!

DSCN3048.jpg

Sanded the panel to fit and to accomodate tolex

DSCN3049.jpg

Got some self drilling screws and installed the back panel today. Next is to sand the baffle to accomodate the grille cloth and screw it on.

And with the back screwed on:

DSCN3051.jpg

I also rounded over the edges and I will get some handles. I got some gliders so that it uses them when its on the side in the last pic so it can be either horizontal or vertical.

Looking good man. Keep it up!!!

Why thank you O' Fearless Wizard!

It was with a lot of help from a couple of people especially you!

I can't wait to finish it! I'm so happy that its really solid...I sat on it and it was fine!

Now here is a man after my own Luddite skewed heart.

Laying out the cuts with a square and pencil

Using a hand saw not only cut to length, but to also cut the sides of the finger joints. Then to top it off, hobbing out the finger joints with a wood chisel.

using a square and clamps to square up the cabinet.

You're all right Andre. You can build cabinets for me. [thumbup]

Nice work and all of it done by hand which is pretty amazing. I'm really Impressed, I bought all the hardware and supplies to build a speaker cab more than a year ago and I haven't even started it yet and I have a complete workshop. it's pretty cool to see you doing it with such basic tools and having fun doing it for the most part. Your gonna be really proud when you finish that true hand built cabinet.

Although I did make those bracelets and quite a few other pieces of jewelry and art this year. [thumbup]

Now here is a man after my own Luddite skewed heart.

Laying out the cuts with a square and pencil

Using a hand saw not only cut to length, but to also cut the sides of the finger joints. Then to top it off, hobbing out the finger joints with a wood chisel.

using a square and clamps to square up the cabinet.

You're all right Andre. You can build cabinets for me. [thumbup]

Why thank you Tommy! Though I did use a coping saw to cut the most of the finger joints and the chisel to clean up. If I had used the chisel alone I would have gone crazy. I rounded over the edges by hand, that was fun!

Nice work and all of it done by hand which is pretty amazing. I'm really Impressed, I bought all the hardware and supplies to build a speaker cab more than a year ago and I haven't even started it yet and I have a complete workshop. it's pretty cool to see you doing it with such basic tools and having fun doing it for the most part. Your gonna be really proud when you finish that true hand built cabinet.

Though I did use a drill for the holes for the wheels....and I may have to use some power tool for the speaker cutout.

Although I did make those bracelets and quite a few other pieces of jewelry and art this year. [thumbup]

And they came out great!

Makes me wish I had some old bass strings lying around.

Looking good man, nice solid cab.

On the tolex glue, wood glue is not a good substitute but if that's all you have I would advise you to apply it thin.

I have used tolex glue and although it looks just like white glue it is a completely different beast.

• 3 weeks later...

Handles arrived day before yesterday.

Got them installed and my grill cloth, tolex, amp corners and speaker jack plate reached today.

I now have everything to finish my cab....except staple gun and staples for the grill cloth, the glue for the tolex and the speakers of course.

Archived