Gibson Brands Forums

Speaker cab pics.

Andre S

Here are the overdue pictures of the speaker cabinet thats being built.

Firstly the converted SCXD into a head, that was done a month ago with some extra pine.

post-8334-013919400 1294757795_thumb.jpg

Now the Speaker Cab.

Cutting the pine to length

post-8334-047831600 1294757907_thumb.jpg

Marking out the finger joints

post-8334-082243400 1294757931_thumb.jpg

Chiseling finger joints to fit.

post-8334-009076700 1294757963_thumb.jpg

post-8334-077381500 1294757986_thumb.jpg

Found a better way to mark out the thickness of the board.

DSCN3034.jpg

Checking the fit

DSCN3036.jpg

One more to go!

DSCN3037.jpg

Complete dry fit

DSCN3040.jpg

Done entirely by hand. No power tools at all... Next step to glue it up and then cut the ply. I may use a circular saw for that if I can borrow one, because I don't feel to tackle a 4' by 8' sheet of ply with a hand saw.....

I already did that to build the guitar stand.

Yup, 1/2" ply baffle and same for the back. I will use strips of wood glued to the box on the interior to mount it, but after its glued.

I intended it to be 30 by 20 " but it turned out to be 1/4" longer both ways. I'm glad I didn't cut the ply based on the planned measurement, because I would have had an 'oh sh!t' moment and would have had two boards 30 by 20 " too short to use.

I already have plans for the rest of the ply [smile]

Can't wait.

Hand work.

You must have a lot of patience and a high threshold for frustration.

Looks good so far. B)

I found its a good way to relax and work off frustration at the end of the school day.

Hand molding the wood with a variety of saws....ah

the only reason I wouldn't continue handworking the wood, is because accuracy seems to be a little hit or miss.

I mean in this case, missing a couple of mm isn't too much of a problem, but in cases where accuracy must be perfect, I wouldn't want to do it by hand.

I plan to pickup a circular saw this year, so that I will only do Kreg Joints. Andy R recommended it and frankly it looks absolutely awesome.

Wow, first bracelets and now this? What's next a playpen for dem00n? [biggrin]

Nice job!

I didn't make those bracelets.

I believe it was retrosurfer, but I am not sure.

However, if you meant to say, a guitar stand for 5 guitars, a head box for a Fender Super Champ and now this? Then a playpen for dem00n might be in the cards. [flapper]

[biggrin]

Thanks

I didn't make those bracelets.

I believe it was retrosurfer, but I am not sure.

However, if you meant to say, a guitar stand for 5 guitars, a head box for a Fender Super Champ and now this? Then a playpen for dem00n might be in the cards. [flapper]

[biggrin]

Thanks

Ah! I was mistaken then. Yeah, like you said, all that and now this.... You've the talent I don't have. I can put things together with instructions and that's about it. Yeah, I take it that dem00n wants that playpen now! [flapper] But it looks like he's going to have to wait! [thumbup]

Ah! I was mistaken then. Yeah, like you said, all that and now this.... You've the talent I don't have. I can put things together with instructions and that's about it. Yeah, I take it that dem00n wants that playpen now! [flapper] But it looks like he's going to have to wait! [thumbup]

Yup! Till at least March when I can get the Kreg Jig!

First joint came out great! I added two nails to each finger....slightly less than 90 at one side, but that will straighten. I didn't do the next joint toady because my allergies were acting up.

I will get the wheels tomorrow hopefully and do the second joint.

Wow, first bracelets and now this? What's next a playpen for dem00n? [biggrin]

Nice job!

Actually dem00n has gratuated to a "crib".......dem00n is growing up well...He found a bought a real 1959 Gibson, and is interested in jazz guitar; not an easy thing to master..His postsare almost all quality posts.....

For tolex, grill cloth and speakers you might want to check out www.tubesandmore.com or www.mojotone.com.

Thanks.

I ordered them from Stewmac and amazon though...order already placed.

Also, I got some ACE brand wheels today.

All joints glued and nailed. two of four joints are just a degree or two off from 90. For the first time doing hand finger joints, I'll accept that.

Next step to cut and glue on bracings for the baffle and rear panel.Cut the baffle and rear plate, cut out for the speakers. Then glue the wooden adapter plate for the wheels. Then I'll tolex it and install the grill cloth.

I will go with a black tolex with light brown grill cloth.

Ok, update

I had about 40-45'' of pine left over, 11 1/4 " wide, so I divided it into 11 strips of 1 inch each, and began to saw that by hand, to make my bracing for the baffle and the rear panel. Suprisingly, cutting 30" didn't take that long.

I clamped another piece of pine, with a straight edge against the line and began to saw. It came out straight. Its gluing now.

Roughly a day to a brace.....unless I get more clamps.

Pics tomorrow.

Andre - I just tried some of the water based contact cement for gluing down some tolex and it really doesn't work well for tolex. I figured out that the old fashioned contact cement - the solvent based stuff - is much better for tolexing than the new water based cement.

[thumbup]

Thanks badbluesplayer...I will check up some more about attaching tolex...I was planning to use wood glue.

[biggrin]

The baffle has been cut, 4 of 8 braces are done, 2 of the 4 are glued, another will be glued tonight.

Silicone will be placed at each joint to ensure my relatively neat though some gaps, hand cut finger joints, don't let anything out...same goes for between the base of the cab and the braces and the top of the cab and the braces.

Cutting the braces is really annoying. Probably the hardest task so far.

Still don't know which speakers.....just that they will be 12 inch.

Archived