Gibson Brands Forums

The BOSS FZ5 Fuzz?

Sancho Panza

HellO!

I was thinking about buying a fuzz! And since I haven't located any Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone, (will Gibson re-release it??) I was thinking about buying the BOSS FZ5 Fuzz. Is it anyone who has it? Been watching some videos on YouTube, and it sounds pretty decent to me. Does the Maestro function really sound like a Maestro? I know that it can't sound exatcly like it, but close enough?

Thanks!

HellO!

I was thinking about buying a fuzz! And since I haven't located any Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone, (will Gibson re-release it??) I was thinking about buying the BOSS FZ5 Fuzz. Is it anyone who has it? Been watching some videos on YouTube, and it sounds pretty decent to me. Does the Maestro function really sound like a Maestro? I know that it can't sound exatcly like it, but close enough?

Thanks!

Plum Crazy FX...Fuzzy Lady, Si-Clops. Head. Mutha. Fuzz. In. Charge....or even Zvex's Fuzz Factory...thats If you want some of the best...Im not a big fan of Boss...

Plum Crazy FX...Fuzzy Lady, Si-Clops. Head. Mutha. Fuzz. in Charge....or even Zvex's Fuzz Factory...thats If you want some of the best...Im not a big fan of Boss...

I second that. If a fuzz cannot advertise the Ge or Si transistors it uses, walk on by. If you poke around on CraigsList or other sites you can find decent used fuzzes and might even score something really sweet like a Mosrite Fuzzrite.

Plum Crazy FX...Fuzzy Lady, Si-Clops. Head. Mutha. Fuzz. in Charge....or even Zvex's Fuzz Factory...thats If you want some of the best...Im not a big fan of Boss...

I third that. The Boss fuzz doesn't sound that great, and there are so many better choices. The Swollen Pickle by Way Huge is pretty sweet and very versatile.

Plum Crazy FX sound great in demos, have not heard them in person yet though.

Fuzz Factory is a totally different beast from normal fuzzes.

It's a great journey, and fuzz is insane [thumbup]

Thanks for all the advices guys! I will be sure to check them all out, if my local music store has them!

I was just wondering about fuzzes, since I want to have one really quick, and the Boss fuzz is the only one available for the moment, and I need one fast.

I was also told the The Big Muff should be pretty decent too, is that fuzz something to put your money while waiting on the Gibson Maestro?

I should also add that I intend to use it on some garage stuff; 60's garage psychedelia for the most, and I want an kinda "vintage" sound. I will be using a 335 and a Vox AC15, if that's any help.

Thanks again!

Mike

The Boss is not worth it if you ask me.

I don't know where you shop but most stores don't have a very good selection of fuzz.

If you're shopping at GC, check out the Dunlop Fuzz Faces (not my favorite but 10x better than the Boss), Zvex Fuzz Factory or Mastotron, or any fulltone fuzz pedals. My GC had all of those pedals and a Fulltone '70 last time I went.

The Big Muff is good I'd check out the big regular NYC Big Muff.

The Boss is not worth it if you ask me.

I don't know where you shop but most stores don't have a very good selection of fuzz.

If you're shopping at GC, check out the Dunlop Fuzz Faces (not my favorite but 10x better than the Boss), Zvex Fuzz Factory or Mastotron, or any fulltone fuzz pedals. My GC had all of those pedals and a Fulltone '70 last time I went.

The Big Muff is good I'd check out the big regular NYC Big Muff.

Yea your not going to find any Plum Crazy FX stuff at stores..maybe Zvex...but Dub's right you can't go wrong with the BIG EH Big Muff or a Dunlop Fuzz-Face..i think the new Joe Bonamassa sig. Fuzz Face was just released, you could give that a go as well..

I agree completely with what's been said--the FZ-5 is no good by fuzz standards. No nuance, no real room for tweaking--it's a very static kind of pedal, without much in the way of touch response or reactivity. It's just very bland-sounding--I will say, Boss makes some good pedals (at least I think so,) but this is not one of them. I tried one out at a GC a few times, because it's cheap and I thought that if I gave it a chance I would like it. No dice...YMMV, but, as has already been said, I think a different pedal would make you happier.

...My personal favorite (although I don't own a fuzz these days--I'm working on something, though) is the Keeley Fuzz Head, and then either the Devi Ever Vintage Fuzz Master or the Devi Ever Disaster. There is, of course, the ever-popular Fuzz Factory, which is also an excellent pedal, and the Mastotron which I think is swell. The new Fuzz Faces are also pretty cool. There's lots of good stuff out there.

Archived