Gibson Brands Forums

distortion noises

Petrosrock

Hello people,

I have a question and I would be thankful if you could give me some answers with this.

I have big amounts of noises when I plug my sg into my marshall and turn the distortion on something that didn't happen with my ex amp.

Is it because of the sg or the amp? Can I do smth to fix it maybe?

Thanks in advance,

Petros.

There will always be a little more noise when using the distortion channel, it sounds like you are hearing the 50 or 60 Hertz buzz from the mains electricity supply. This Buzz will be greatly enhanced if you are standing near a tellyvision or computer screen of if your guitar or guitar lead has a dodgy earth connection.

Have you tried a different lead, and have you tried a different guitar so that we can start eliminationg possibilities?

Yes man, yesterday I tried the amp with an other guitar in the guitar shop and there was no such buzzing, but I also tried my guitar with a different amp and there was no buzzing there also. So not sure if I cant tell amp's or guitar's problem, maybe both of them. Now I moved away from the television and computer and it worked, the noises were way less.

Any ideas what else should I do? Shall I go change something at my guitar's pluging hole? (because you spoke something about earth connection or I 'm mistaken)

The guitar may not be properly earthed.. does the buzz become much louder and quieter if you take your hands on and off the strings?

if so, it would be worth taking a look in the control cavity to see if there are any loose wires

I doubt that the bare wires will affect things too much, they are probably earth wires soldered to the back of the Potentiometers...Is the wiring in the guitar the original factory wiring?

Double check that the wire that connects the "hardware and strings" to earth is connected (Back of a volume pot' usually) this wire usually comes through a small hole in the wood. you can see it coming through a small hole in the top left of this cavity and connecting to the back of a Pot'

3507_p53175.jpg

Archived