Gibson Brands Forums

Dimarzio vs GFS vs Duncans for hard rock........Whats your opinion?

gearhead

I've used MANY Dimarzio Super Distortions in the past, but haven't tried the GFS or Duncans, and I know alot of you have .

Whats your opinion as for the best pup for hard rock/metal out of those three (or is there something else)?

Every now and again a question will pop up about pick-ups, I myself have also asked about pick-ups a couple of times too, and what usually happens is that a few folk will recommend what ever brand they personally are using, or have just upgraded with. Then someone will come along and disagree and recommend the brand that they use in their favourite guitar and so on.

In the end it all boils down to personal choice, The big name brands all make great sounding pick-ups and some of the lesser known brands make great pick-ups for a lot less money.

My best advice would be to do some homework and find out what sort of magnets are preferred by artists playing similar styles to you, what brands they use etc...read user reviews and check out the Seymour Duncan website for sound bites.

I have found that i prefer pick-ups with Alnico v magnets over ceramic or Alnico ii for playing heavy stuff. I recently bought a calibrated set of two zebra coil pick-ups from Wilkinson that sound great and were very good value for money.

I have found that i prefer pick-ups with Alnico v magnets over ceramic or Alnico ii for playing heavy stuff. I recently bought a calibrated set of two zebra coil pick-ups from Wilkinson that sound great and were very good value for money.

I've never had any with ceramic mags before, but I understand they are a lot, brighter? Lots more highs. Higher output for the most part too.

I've always like the Dimarzio Super Distortions, really good overtones and harmonics.

Thanks, maybe I'll pick up a used set with some Alnico II (all mine are 5) and throw them in something to see what I think.

I've never had any with ceramic mags before, but I understand they are a lot, brighter? Lots more highs. Higher output for the most part too.

I've always like the Dimarzio Super Distortions, really good overtones and harmonics.

Thanks, maybe I'll pick up a used set with some Alnico II (all mine are 5) and throw them in something to see what I think.

I have a ceramic magnet 'high output rock humbucker' in the bridge position of my G400 (which i plan to change).. It definitely has a lot going for it...High output, clear highs, no Mud, nice tight lows. But ... I am just not very fond of it, The sound is clinical. I much prefer the sound of Alnico magnet pick-ups because they are more organic sounding to my ears.

There are also pick-ups with Alnico 3 and 4 magnets out there. There are also Neodymium Magnet pick-ups ans probably others, and this is before we even start to bring in other factors like The quality of the wire and how many windings it has etc etc.

I hope that your quest for a great sounding pick-up meets a satisfactory ending [biggrin]

Keep us updated and post a review once you find it.

Are the old one ceramic also? I actually didn't know they were! Learn something new every day, that's why I'm here!

As far as I know they've always been ceramic.

Interesting approach to pick a pickup based on the magnet. You won't find many A2 loaded hi-output pickups tho. They may work well in the PAF type/low to medium output- pickup like the Seymour Duncan Alnico2Pros, but in general A2s tend to get mushy in the low end. But as been noted there are no rules as to what goes or not, so feel free to ignore. :) Half of a good hardrock/metal sound is probably in the amp/cabs anyway...

Personally I always liked the Seymour Duncan Custom series (SH5, SH11, SH14) Same bobbins , different magnet. I liked the SH5 ceramic best for certain guitars, but YMMV.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input!

I went over to the Bare Knuckles site and was impressed by the fact that they have "real" sound clips,

MUSIC with a few instruments, not just one guitar. And you can actually hear the difference between the pickups,

plus they show a "scale" as to the effects on the lows, mids, highs for each one.

I've never really been much of a P90 lover, at least not for the music I usually play,

but I like the "Stockholm" humbucker sized P90. High output, boosted low end and great harmonics!

Thanks for the tips! I think I'm going to try one of these in the near future and will post a review on it.

Bare Knuckles-Stockholm

Bare knuckles are very good as i had some miracle man pups in an ibanez rg350 which made it a 80s machine. Quite pricey tho but very good service. Email them say what guitar you have, made from what and what you were after in the ways of sounds and they choose whats good for you. Tim is the main man there and knows his stuff.

Also irongear pickups are very good imo. i had some hotslags before and they were great. (Excuse the wording) [flapper]

I'm quite fond of WCR pickups, especially their Iron Man - options of A5, A8 og C8 magnets. And they supply them, so you can swap yourself. A8 for me, thanks.

Just yesterday I heard a clip af a guy playing some death on a SG jr with a Bare Knuckle P90 - must have been the Stockholm. That is one mean beast.

Archived