Gibson Brands Forums

95 GIBSON J-55 J-45 ADVANCE JUMBO LIMITED EDITION RARE

Spot

:Is this legit? If it is,it's pretty darned F..ugly [scared]

Spoto. Mos' legit. Gibby did a short run of reissues 1990s. Played one at Elderly once. Nice sound, but I dont much cotton the the appointments either. Gibson went on from there to the southern Jumbo, which turned out to be a keeper.

EBAY Sale

That's a J-55 Reissue. Suring the late 30's, it occupied the top slot in the jumbo body (or slope-shouldered dreadnaught) line, and the more modest J-35 was the bottom. In that sense, the J-55 was sort of the forbear to the Southern Jumbo, which was the fancier version of the J-45, which itself evolved from the J-35.

Red 333

I love this guitar and would love to own one as well. While I would rather have an original, this would do as well. The only thing I don't like about it is the distance between the pins and the saddle. Makes for an awful break angle. Love that stair step headstock!

I had a J-55 once - Probably in mid 80s. The guitar itself from late 70s.

The one I had was in effect a Gibson Gospel in Mahogany.

I had sold it and not really looked back, when I heard Gibson was reintroducing the J-55.

The reissue was indeed this ugly ebay guitar.Very far removed from what I had.

I love this guitar and would love to own one as well. While I would rather have an original, this would do as well. The only thing I don't like about it is the distance between the pins and the saddle. Makes for an awful break angle. Love that stair step headstock!

I was surprised to see a couple of original models at the Dallas Guitar Show last fall. Until then, I had never seen one in person. And I until now, I was unaware of the reissue.

I can't remember if I was impressed because the originals were so light or so heavy. It was one of the two! I'll check to see whether I took any pictures. I think one of them had the other style of bridge (which sort of looks like a bird with open wings). I thought they were pretty cool, though they are not really my taste.

Red 333

Archived