Gibson Brands Forums

Got a MacBook Pro

Riffster

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wirelessly, the guy at Apple gave me new DNS servers and verified my modem model,

I updated software yet again last night and reset the modem again and the computer seems to have come to life, I also noticed that GarageBand has all the loops that didn't before.

Pain in the @ss isn't it? Not only that, there's no digital input, only output.

[confused] There are two or three USB ports and two firewire ports so it does have digital ins. You have to go to System Preferences | Sound to change what ports are used for audio in and out.

...I also noticed that GarageBand has all the loops that didn't before.

I had issues with this two nights ago when I tried to apply some effects to a prerecorded guitar track. It listed a boat load of fuzzes, but when I tried to access them it said they weren't installed so I downloaded them. Now I only have woodstock fuzz and indie fuzz boxes. The woodstock one is super noisy. Granted, this was my first time using the loops.

A few more things for Mac users

It's a good idea to check the Discussions forum at Apples site before you update to see if anyone is having problems.

Repair permissions before and after you update or at least once a week.

[confused] There are two or three USB ports and two firewire ports so it does have digital ins. You have to go to System Preferences | Sound to change what ports are used for audio in and out.

USB and Firewire are NOT SPDIF audio inputs. Extra hardware (i.e. interfaces) is required.

My wife has that machine and loves it. I have the 15". Two inches makes a big difference. :rolleyes:

Is it really 2 inches bigger or did you just tell her it was - after all most women have no idea what a few inches really is after all the lies men have told them for years

edit

Boy post number 3333 and I wasted it on that bad joke - that's gonna be pretty hard to make the next post and break that symmetry. Kinda like buying gas I gotta get to an even number even if the gas has to go on the ground...

Is is possible that it's your internet connection, and not the mac at all?

I have a bunch of macs, never had a problem.

I also use both Safari and Firefox, they are equally as fast.

Garage band is terrific for recording. It takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out, it's great. I bought a book from the "Missing Manual" series. It was for Garage Band 3, but all the info is still pertinent. And I got it for $5 off of half.com.

Email me if you're still having problems, the mac techs just read off a checklist...Email me

Stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

My wife and I were converted. Two Macs (one desk top, one lap top) two years, no problems.

The only "issue" I had was connecting my guitar to the computer. I bought a Griffin iMic to be able to do it but I found there was a slight delay between me hitting the string and then hearing it through the speakers. I may have asked this in the past but can't remember - what do you guys use to connect your guitar to Garage Band and how well does it work?

I use a MobilePre, it accepts a 1/4 guitar cord, and you can plug two microphones into it as well. Works great, lasts a long time.

You can get last year's model (which is what I have) on eBay for $75, or the latest version at ZZounds for $150.

My link

My link

If there is one advantage to Mac, it's a general consistency in hardware that "PC" hardware does not have. OTOH, they never nowadays quite tell you makers of subassemblies as they used to. Apple always has kept the lid on that more than the makers of PCs.

But there are lemons. Period. That's regardless of whatever you buy, from a cheap nail clipper to a high-end huge flat screen television. Even guitars. <grin>

m

Is is possible that it's your internet connection, and not the mac at all?

I have a bunch of macs, never had a problem.

I also use both Safari and Firefox, they are equally as fast.

Garage band is terrific for recording. It takes a little getting used to, but once you figure it out, it's great. I bought a book from the "Missing Manual" series. It was for Garage Band 3, but all the info is still pertinent. And I got it for $5 off of half.com.

Email me if you're still having problems, the mac techs just read off a checklist...Email me

Stick with it, you'll be glad you did.

Thanks but things are fine now, something fix it although I do not know what it was, I updated software several times and that seems to have sold the issues I was having.

The problem was not my internet connection though.

Archived