Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Color ideas?

Majkel

Hi guys,

went and bought myself a Flying V Faded today (got a great deal on it too!), and while I love the way it plays I just can't get over the color... I was thinking of refinishing it even before purchase, but was kind of hoping I'd be cool with it... I'm not. I've seen a bunch of people refinish their V's in white (making them look pretty much like the standard white ones Gibson release), but I'm not THAT excited about the standard white or ebony finishes, but would rather go with something a bit more unique... Googling to the best of my abilities hasn't really yielded any interesting results, so I figured I'd fire away a question here and see if you guys have any good ideas!

I made a quick mock-up using the same color scheme as the 2011 Kirk Hammett ESP guitars, but I'm not entirely sold on it... At the moment I've got an idea to do a Pelham Blue (like Zakk) with black binding and pickguard...

All suggestions welcome!

post-25714-020293300 1296322009_thumb.jpg

I've noticed your replies are starting to sway me, and I'm leaning more and more towards that green burst I made...

I'm wondering what might look cooler though... adding a veneer layer and staining that green, or adding a tiny amount of metallic (gold?) sparkle to the green and spraying that flat (both with the black burst ofc)?

Had my repair guy do them both, not sure what he used. I know the natural one had about 12 coats of tung oil rubbed into it.

Talked to my very own repair guy today who took a razor blade to the back of it and very gently scraped off some paint. Came off like nothing at all, and he recommended razor blading the entire thing... being a lazy bastard though, I'm more inclined to go for some kind of paint stripper... Anyone know if there's a specific type that works better than others?

Talked to my very own repair guy today who took a razor blade to the back of it and very gently scraped off some paint. Came off like nothing at all, and he recommended razor blading the entire thing... being a lazy bastard though, I'm more inclined to go for some kind of paint stripper... Anyone know if there's a specific type that works better than others?

My guy used stripper on both, melted right off and left the wood just fine. The Gothic was realy thick.

4.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Gothic_White_01.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

Archived