Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone practice amp for Black Beauty

kwfrederick

Not sure what kind of music you're playing, but if you want to get something with a solid clean tone for not a lot of money, I'd recommend what I just picked up for my Dot, a Fender Frontman 25R. Good solid loud clean tone, what I feel is actually a pretty decent distortion, plus reverb, all for 100 bucks.

Many knowledgeable folks around here to offer their opinions.

And unknowledgeable ones, too.

(sorry - couldn't pass that one up)

And a +1 on the Roland Cube series amps. I have a 30X, and the numerous models and effects keep things interesting. The new XL series has more bells and whistles, yet are less expensive than those they superceded. The Cube-20XL is just $149.

No, it doesn't have the "creamy" tones of a tube amp, but many of us are willing to compromise with the simplicity and cost-effectiveness of a one-box solution vs a tube amp and pedals, etc..

Seriously ... does EVERY thread on this forum have to turn into a pissing match?

Back on topic: I know that I'm constantly on here touting the wonders of the Line 6 Spider range of solid state amps ... great bang-for-the-buck as I always say. However ...

I would encourage all of you to take a closer look at the next generation of Fender Mustang amps ... namely the III, IV and V models. In a word ... IMPRESSIVE! I'm seriously considering trading in my trusty Spider Jam and going for one ...

Jim

I am useing a peavey studio pro 40. And let me say this little babby screames. it has reverb and a footswitch to turn off the distortion. I love this little amp and i only gave a 100.00 bucks for it.

Archived