Gibson Brands Forums

Peter Green BBC4 This Friday at 9 pm

Duende

After the fantastic documentary the Friday just gone, on ace musician Mark Knopfler, it looks like we are in for another treat this Friday, in the shape of Peter Green! If the Mark Knopfler programme iwas anything to go by, I think the Peter Green programme is going to be great msp_thumbup.gif

The interview with Knopfler was so enriching as he spoke with so humility and a humble passion about his past - and also his projects he is currently involved in. His playing through out was superb and it was so exciting watching him demonstrate different techniques with a guitar on his lap and actually show you how he came up with some of his most well known pieces!

Roll on Friday!

Matt

Matt, as you probably know, we can't watch BBC4 in the States. There is a 12 part BBC production on You Tube called Peter Green: Man of the World. I thought it was good but also very sad, as you would expect. Being in Britain, You are probably aware that PG was touring throughout Europe and even got down to Australia in 2009 & 10. There are many postings of this, also on You Tube (my favorite place on the internet). His playing and singing improved considerably during this stretch. Much better than w/Splinter Group IMHO. Do you think the show you're talking about is the same one I've seen? Is he still a popular enigma there or just an occasional curiosity?

Matt, as you probably know, we can't watch BBC4 in the States. There is a 12 part BBC production on You Tube called Peter Green: Man of the World. I thought it was good but also very sad, as you would expect. Being in Britain, You are probably aware that PG was touring throughout Europe and even got down to Australia in 2009 & 10. There are many postings of this, also on You Tube (my favorite place on the internet). His playing and singing improved considerably during this stretch. Much better than w/Splinter Group IMHO. Do you think the show you're talking about is the same one I've seen? Is he still a popular enigma there or just an occasional curiosity?

That is a shame; Is BBC America just selected BBC shows Timestamp? Hmmm I am not sure if it is the same as the youtube one? After the show there is a documentary on Fleetwood mac too.

Matt

That is a shame; Is BBC America just selected BBC shows Timestamp?

Yes, they also generally don't run much new stuff for us either. Here's what we have to look forward to on BBC America next Friday...

7:00 PM BBC World News America

8:00 PM Star Trek: The Next Generation - Ep 2 Darmok

9:00 PM Law & Order: UK - Ep 4 Confession

10:00 PM Law & Order: UK - Ep 3 Defense

TV-14

11:00 PM

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Ep 2 Darmok

The Les Paul that MK used in the interview was lovely. (for non viewers) He had a row of guitars on stands that he used to explain about each song. The Dobro was nice too.

Can't the USA get the BBC i player on the net? Will it be on there?

Wasn't he skinny when he first started too?

If you want to watch UK TV from the States or anywhere else in the world you need to set up a VPN (virtual private network) I use a company called Adtelly and it works well for me. It costs £5.50 per month....... around $7 I think. There is free software to do the same job called Expatshield but it's got mixed reviews and I've never used it. As far as the BBC iplayer is concerned it then sees you as being in the UK so you can view anything you like. I then use free software called Get Iplayer to record programs. The recordings don't time out like the BBC downloads. Get Iplayer is a bit of a pig to use. If I can help just ask.

I've seen the Peter Green story, I've got the DVD and it is depressing..... such a waste of talent and an insight into just how bad mental health treatment was. I'd still love to see Peter Green play but I've never seen any ads for tours or concerts.

I'm looking forward to the Peter Green documentary very much.

I've downloaded the Mark Knopfler 'Jools' programme from BBC 'iPlayer' and will watch it sometime today.

BBC4 really is giving us some fantastic programmes these Fridays. A fortnight ago there was 'Bad Reputation' - a profile of the rise and ultimate fall of Thin Lizzy with perioid footage and contemporary interviews with the likes of Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson and Brian Downey.

Following-on immediately from that was 'Flight 666' - a two-hour docu following Iron Maiden on their 50,000 mile, 23 show world-tour. I didn't know anything about the band before I saw the prog and came away with the highest respect for them as both musicians and people.

There is a download on the 'net called something like 'iPlayer grabber' which allows you to keep the programmes you have downloaded rather than them disappearing after the 7-day 'availability' the BBC allows.

P.

If you want to watch UK TV from the States or anywhere else in the world you need to set up a VPN (virtual private network) I use a company called Adtelly and it works well for me. It costs £5.50 per month....... around $7 I think. There is free software to do the same job called Expatshield but it's got mixed reviews and I've never used it. As far as the BBC iplayer is concerned it then sees you as being in the UK so you can view anything you like. I then use free software called Get Iplayer to record programs. The recordings don't time out like the BBC downloads. Get Iplayer is a bit of a pig to use. If I can help just ask.

I've seen the Peter Green story, I've got the DVD and it is depressing..... such a waste of talent and an insight into just how bad mental health treatment was. I'd still love to see Peter Green play but I've never seen any ads for tours or concerts.

I agree about the depressing part but it is worth watching. He cancelled the last of his tour obligations w/Peter Green and Friends last Fall. Nothing presently scheduled. A friend of mine was on business in England early in the Fall and saw him and the band play. The show was a little uneven but there were several moment when the crowd looked at each other in seeming disbelief at the occasional magic that still comes out of his guitar. I would love to see him, though, as time passed, I'm less hopeful he'll play the States again. Look on You Tube for Peter Green and Friends. There are a lot of postings from 2009 + 2010 when they toured. I thought that he had the hardest time on Black Magic Woman and Oh Well, ironically. There are lots of great moments. Just don't expect 1969.

Archived