Gibson Brands Forums

if a pedal is passive, can it still colour your sound?

krock

It can. Anytime your signal passes through another medium (capicitor, resistor, tube, even wire actually) it can and does to a certain degree change your sound.

The question then becomes is it enough for you to hear the difference. I don't think my ears are that sensitive, but I've know musicians who could hear the grass growing.

Another factor if you're using tube amps is whether the pedal significantly lessens the amplitude of the signal to the amp. If you're trying also to get some overdrive on the amp... yeah, it would lessen that and you'd have to mess with that angle involved in your sound.

But otherwise, as has been said, anything else should be minimal if the pedal has a true bypass.

m

I was looking into the Electro Harmonix Signal Pad Guitar Effects Pedal, Passive Attenuator. Im not sure but I think passive means it doesnt need batteries to work. Dont hold me to that though. So would it colour the sound?

I was looking into the Electro Harmonix Signal Pad Guitar Effects Pedal, Passive Attenuator. Im not sure but I think passive means it doesnt need batteries to work. Dont hold me to that though. So would it colour the sound?

I believe that EH is trying to say that it won't color your sound, but IMO all amps sound differently when an attenuator is used at least most in a price range I could look at. Some of the really high end boutique stuff doesn't change it that much.

Archived