Gibson Brands Forums

Failure - publicly displayed for good measure

NeoConMan

this is a trick question? where do you put a mike on a marshall?

forgive me, i have a feeble mind. but last time i knew anything, you don't mike a marshall. i confess it has been a while sinse i left the house.

Stein, the only one of us, with a peripheral understanding of this type of set up, with the stones to ask the question.

How many Marshall amps did __________________________________ use?

Would whomever had a link to that wall of amps that isn't. Please re-post.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nope..still funny. but why? is the mike REALLY in the wrong place? what do you think?

are you certain a 100 watt jmp or jcm could not overpower your average pa system? some trivia questions? how many stacks did cream play albert hall with? (i think it was albert hall, the one where they shook the plaster from the cieling). how many did hendrix use? how many did iron maiden use for the live after death tour?

now, i am 41 (or 42, can't remember) and i was too young for most of those shows, but old enough to remember concerts that didn't use pa's for the amps. i have also never played a stage that big. my rig(s) havent even left the house in 5 years or so, but i HAVE played a stack in its full glory. i have never played a gig where i COULD play a marshall properly. i HAVE played gigs where they house was fully mic'd and politely refused a mic for my amp.

search your feelings. where does that mic belong?

Wow. Totally just killed any humor. Theres always gotta be "THAT" guy in the crowd.

ugh.

That know-it-all attitude makes me sick... but of course, SOMEONE has to be right...

Wow. Totally just killed any humor. Theres always gotta be "THAT" guy in the crowd.

ugh.

That know-it-all attitude makes me sick... but of course, SOMEONE has to be right...

oh, i am so not a know it all..i know very little. for example, i don't even know why a mike is on a marshall.

i know sometimes a lot gets lost with the written word, especially what trying to be funny.

i know i may sound like a know it all, but i'm not. just to prove it i don't really know how many stacks hendrix used at woodstock, just thought it was relevant (and i'm sure the info is out there). as for the mentioned maiden tour, i just happened to remember it was 5-2 for one guitarist and 3 for the other, which there would use one less each on occasion (depending on the venue). i thought that relevant because while i can't say for sure they were NOT miked, i'm pretty sure they weren't because i remember the 80's and the concerts back then, when they were still using the volume from the amps to fill the stadium. the cream concert, i was too young for that but it is historic because it was the first in some fashion that involved a full miked drum set, and the count was one stack for each, totaling 3, and it did remove plaster from the place.

So I saw this as I was surfing the WWW...

Good example of what NOT to do - Exhibit "A";

amp_mike_fail.jpg

Anybody else have something to offer for Exhibit "B"?

now, guys, this is STILL way funny. for those of us lucky enough (or cursed) to have ever shared a stage with a marshall, it brings back memories (good and bad) of everyone ELSE running to the sound guys for mikes.

also funny, in that sometimes a sound guy has no clue what you are about to lay down, and they insist you may want a mike. you try not to laugh too hard as you place the mic out of the way, knowing just how damn loud this **** is gonna be. (ok, really unproffesional, but sometimes the glory of a cranked marshall brings out this evil, alter ego that gets the best of us). ok? now thats funny.

marshalls are really, really, really, really really really really really, loud. the 1st 2 rows do not and can not hear anything because the sound pressure is beyond our ability to hear. you don't worry about single coil hum because the hum remains in your ears after the music stops. marshalls cause hearing damage, and temporary hearing loss, but we still do it. why? actually, i don't know, but **** yea!

that is what this picture says to me. you hear that? i said thats what this picture says to me...

now, guys, this is STILL way funny. for those of us lucky enough (or cursed) to have ever shared a stage with a marshall, it brings back memories (good and bad) of everyone ELSE running to the sound guys for mikes.

also funny, in that sometimes a sound guy has no clue what you are about to lay down, and they insist you may want a mike. you try not to laugh too hard as you place the mic out of the way, knowing just how damn loud this **** is gonna be. (ok, really unproffesional, but sometimes the glory of a cranked marshall brings out this evil, alter ego that gets the best of us). ok? now thats funny.

marshalls are really, really, really, really really really really really, loud. the 1st 2 rows do not and can not hear anything because the sound pressure is beyond our ability to hear. you don't worry about single coil hum because the hum remains in your ears after the music stops. marshalls cause hearing damage, and temporary hearing loss, but we still do it. why? actually, i don't know, but **** yea!

that is what this picture says to me. you hear that? i said thats what this picture says to me...

Hmm well I've been going to concerts since 79, Played all over the US through the 80's, worked at the local amphitheater and amps were always mic'd up. Not so much in the early to late 60's. Why have a sound man or a mixing board if your not going to actually have a front of house mix? By the way I have 3 vintage Marshall SL 100's and a Metro JTM 45 half stacks.... I know what loud is!!!! Just cause ya got em doesn't mean they have to be completely on stun and there are ways to get the stage volume but not have the stage volume dictate the PA Mix volume. And yes I will admit it. I'm a freakin' know it all [flapper]

Andy - I've been going to concerts as long.

There were almost always mics on at least two of the amps.

I always wondered how many were extra, standby, or simply fake.

Some guys I know who gigged with Marshalls said they put EVERYTHING onstage for a variety of reasons.

They had extra heads in case of failures, why leave em in the truck?

They had extra cabs that were plugged in to those extra heads - in case they needed to swap over mid-song.

Also - most of their vehicles were unattended for hours.

VERY vulnerable to theft.

Why would you leave ANYTHING in them?

So everything they had went onto the stage.

Looked impressive as hell, eh? [thumbup]

Not enough room?

Then it got stacked on one side outta the way.

I've seen LOTS of shows in big venues where the guitars used only two or three small amps.

And I've ALWAYS heard the guitar coming through the PA.

Several big shows I went to, I was right against the stage in the middle.

I was amazed at how "quiet" it was with the PA firing the opposite direction toward the audience.

How many times have you seen the musicians talking to each other during songs?

Can't do that if you're out front of the PA.

Archived