Gibson Brands Forums

Early 1990's Telecaster and Strat shaped Gibsons

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In the early 1990's I was on a family holiday to Florida with the family:- Disney etc. We had a lovely time but whilst there I visited a guitar shop in Kissimee which was offering for sale Telecaster and Stratocaster shaped guitars, single coil pick ups with a Gibson headstock. The name "Gibson" was on the headstock but the shape was unlike any other I have seen, certainly not recogniseable as Gibson but certainly not Fender either. They were "pointy" but I can't remember very clearly the exact shape of headstock. The retailer assured me they were a genuine Gibson instrument

The guitars were made in the Far East and retailed for about $100 and I wish I had bought one as I have never seen one since.

Kissimee has changed significantly since I was last there and I was unable to find the shop which probably has long since closed. However no retailer anywhere or internet search has demonstrated the existence of these instruments.

Does anyone know anything about them? Has anyone owned or played one? My recollection was that they were at least the equivelant of a Squire strat or tele in terms of quality of construction and had the fender tone.

I swear they existed.........can anyone corroborate that?

One of the models is called U2, very sleak superstrat.

Heres some guys blog on it: http://gibsonu2.wordpress.com/

Gibson U2 looks like it. I remember the crazy headstock.

It probably was more than $100, I remember being cheap compared to UK prices.

However I am damned sure there was a Telecaster type equivelant on sale in the same shop.

It was about 20 years ago.............please bear with me.

Its possible that what you saw on the headstock said "Epiphone by Gibson". Between 1986 and 1989 that is what the logos had read. And to make things slightly more confusing, the very early models (at least on the strats) used three or four different font logo styles; one of which sported one of the older Gibson logos...not the version like you see at the top of the forum and is common on most Epi by Gibson guitars

Also, I have never come across a Gibson Tele, so you most likely saw Epiphone by Gibson guitars. These strats and teles were something concocted shortly after the move to Korea from Japan. There were only two Teles; the standard model and custom (ash). But there was a pretty massive variety of strat-style models. Five different Series and multiple models of each, starting in 1986 and continuing through 2004. I have only seen a small handfull of Gibson strats - maybe two or three different models and they seem to much rarer.

Archived