Gibson Brands Forums

Just Ordered an Epi Lucille...

TxStrat

I've seen a few on the wall at Guitar Center in Boston and Attleboro, Massachusetts. They did have pick guards installed. A classy and beautiful instrument. Post a pic or 2 when it arrives (if you can)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had it for a couple of weeks now and I really like it. I don't like all of the Vari-tone settings, but the ones I do like.... I really like. Position 1 in my opinion is the best, which if I am not mistaken, is the bypass setting. I wish Epi made it in a different color. Black shows every single finger print. I play it through a Line 6 HD500 using the Fender D-lux amp most of the time, but occasionally play it through my Fender Blues Jr. NOS. I really like the different tones I can get out of this guitar. I am still trying to decide if I am going to leave the pick guard on. I kinda like the "vintage" look with th PG, but the silver E (Epiphone logo) keeps lifting off. It would be easy to just take the E logo off, but I kinda like it. If I am going to leave the PG on then I want the logo on it as well. The fit and finish is great (with the exception of the logo on the PG). I am not going to use the typical Epiphone caveat "for the money" to describe this guitar, because at $700.00, I don't consider it an inexpensive guitar.

This is a really nice guitar, and I am extremely happy with the purchase. I would post pics, but I can't find the charger to my camera and the cell phone camera does not do it justice.

Sorry MRW didn't mean to ignore your question. I actually ordered it from a Guitar Center store here in Tx. I wanted to be able to return it to a store if I didn't like it. I am not a big fan of purchasing a guitar without playing it first, but couldn't find one anywhere close to try it out.

Get some 3M Super #77, adheasive. It will permanently attach the "E" logo,

on your pick-guard, and the residue can be cleaned up, with WD-40, and

will leave no residue of it's own, or harm your pickguard, either. I've

used this, several times, over the years, for such things, and never had

a problem.

OH...and we need Photos, or your "Lucille" doesn't exist. ;>)

Cheers,

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Get some 3M Super #77, adheasive. It will permanently attach the "E" logo,

on your pick-guard, and the residue can be cleaned up, with WD-40, and

will leave no residue of it's own, or harm your pickguard, either. I've

used this, several times, over the years, for such things, and never had

a problem.

OH...and we need Photos, or your "Lucille" doesn't exist. ;>)

Cheers,

CB

CB - thanks for the advice.. By the time I got around to looking for some of that adhesive, Epiphone/Gibson had already sent me another one. See pic below. Lucille is right next to my new NightHawk...

photo-3small.jpg

Me, I'd leave the pick guard on.

Two reasons...

1. Even if you play gently, and I'm about as gentle a fingerpicker as you'll find, resting a pinkie on it can help as a reference point. There are other ways of doing that, but... I took the pick guard off my 1950s archtop and figured I'd still have it in the future. That was 35 years ago, plus or minus, and darned if I know what happened to the thing and its hardware now.

2. If you flatpick, you still can mess up, especially on stage or when a distraction arises in practice, and stick the pick into the top. Yeah, I resemble that remark, although it's been years and years ago when I thought pick guards were kinda stodgy and old fashioned.

m

Archived