Gibson Brands Forums

Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

EvanPC

Had a gift card to Best Buy and purchased this pedal over the weekend. So far, my ear has definitely preferred my Strat through the pedal more so than the LP. It just seems a little muddy to me.

Is anybody using one of these pedals with an LP and getting a satisfactory tone? I suppose if it weren't satisfactory, you wouldn't be using it, but....you know what I mean.

Maybe I just need to spend a little more time with the pedal, tweaking the EQ. But I'm still curious about others experience with it.

Had a gift card to Best Buy and purchased this pedal over the weekend. So far, my ear has definitely preferred my Strat through the pedal more so than the LP. It just seems a little muddy to me.

Is anybody using one of these pedals with an LP and getting a satisfactory tone? I suppose if it weren't satisfactory, you wouldn't be using it, but....you know what I mean.

Maybe I just need to spend a little more time with the pedal, tweaking the EQ. But I'm still curious about others experience with it.

I find it a bit harsh

Actually, I use 2 of them. At different settings, for different guitars and/or applications.

I have found, that by cranking back, on the tone knob, it smooths it out, a LOT! No "harshness,"

that way. Then, I just set the "level" and "gain" knobs, where I want them...and Away We Go!!

Also, by using that tone knob, you can adjust to the particular Amp, or guitar you're using.

For instance, Fender amps, (regardless of guitar used) require a different setting, than my

Marshall does. I find out, what works, keep a note about it, for future reference, if need be,

until you get more familiar with it.

CB

Actually, I use 2 of them.

Also, by using that tone knob, you can adjust to the particular Amp, or guitar you're using.

For instance, Fender amps, (regardless of guitar used) require a different setting, than my

Marshall does. I find out, what works, keep a note about it, for future reference, if need be,

until you get more familiar with it.

CB

I have found that it works well with my weaker/darker sounding guitars, and that it seems to work well with my Fender amps, but I just don't care for it with anything through my Marshall.

I have found that it works well with my weaker/darker sounding guitars, and that it seems to work well with my Fender amps, but I just don't care for it with anything through my Marshall.

Interesting... Well, Most (tube) Marshall's have a great overdrive tone, all by themselves.

But, I've found some decent applications, for the Blues Driver, with them, even so. "I" DO

tend to like a humbucker guitar (LP, SG, or ES-335, etc.) with a Marshall, an no (overdrive)

pedals. Just the amp cranked. But, in situations, where that's not realistic, I rely on a

good pedal. But, we're all different. So, whatever works, I say.

CB

I was using the Blues driver setting on the BOSS GT-10, but I just could not get it to sound right, too muddy.

I now use a Keeley modified BD-2 instead (which has a phat switch to beef things up a bit). I thought it was a little harsh when I tried it first, but with a bit of tweaking it comes out great, notes are nice and clear, muddiness all gone. Used it at a couple of gigs over christmas with a Marshall Valvestate and it worked for everything from country to rock.

I picked up a used AC30 last weekend, so looking forward to passing it through that and seeing how it pans out, I reckon it should be a good combination.

I was using the Blues driver setting on the BOSS GT-10, but I just could not get it to sound right, too muddy.

I now use a Keeley modified BD-2 instead (which has a phat switch to beef things up a bit). I thought it was a little harsh when I tried it first, but with a bit of tweaking it comes out great, notes are nice and clear, muddiness all gone. Used it at a couple of gigs over christmas with a Marshall Valvestate and it worked for everything from country to rock.

I picked up a used AC30 last weekend, so looking forward to passing it through that and seeing how it pans out, I reckon it should be a good combination.

I've got a Marshall Valvestate also, but have been playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the most part, with this new pedal. Last night I was able to get some good sounds with the LP. For me, it seemed to really help to turn up the tone on the BD-2 past 12 o'clock, but then turn my tone way down on the guitar....Almost to 0.

Probably just need some patience and willingness to adjust 20 different knobs.....and then remember where they were all set when you found the sound you liked.

Through the last half of the 90s I played a Blues Driver with a stock Sheraton through a Deluxe Reverb RI. In 2001 I bought an OD808 that I still use. Three years ago I had to get the switch on my OD808 replace so my Blues Drive sub'd. Blech. Maybe it was the new setup (SG through a Silvertone 1484), but I could not get a good sound out of it. It was either ouchy harsh or dull muddy. Cannot fathom how I used that Blues Driver for so many years.

I've got a Marshall Valvestate also, but have been playing through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe for the most part, with this new pedal. Last night I was able to get some good sounds with the LP. For me, it seemed to really help to turn up the tone on the BD-2 past 12 o'clock, but then turn my tone way down on the guitar....Almost to 0.

Probably just need some patience and willingness to adjust 20 different knobs.....and then remember where they were all set when you found the sound you liked.

Yeah, amps (especially), rooms, and even one's "mood," can be a factor, in precieved "great" tone...even

with the same guitar. I have all kinds of "dirt boxes," and use whatever works, at that moment. I may

change, the next day, or for the next set-up, room, etc....or, I may leave it alone, for a long time.

It's a bit like playing a LP forever, then switching to a Telecaster or Strat, or a Gretsch. If you're

"used to," the LP tone, the others will sound "weird" at first, until you get used to their tones.

Don't know, if there is any real "answer?" Just whatever works, at the time, I think.

CB

I love my blues driver through a marshall class5 and 2007 melody maker (dual pup).

My LP gets a bit bassy through it so the tone knob finds itself at 3o'clock with it.

My SG take it at 12o'clock.

idk, i just really like it. It makes a world of difference at what level you set it at. Listen for it... Dime the gain, and fool around with the level knob and youll find it works almost like a second tone knob. if i need anything with more gain, i kick on a DS1 or SD1 as a boost.

Thats cause the LP and SG have 490R/T's in them, by the way.

Archived