Gibson Brands Forums

Question about lemon oil

The RandyMan

I was reading the post about using lemon oil on fretboards and it got me wondering . . . why is it beneficial in this application (no pun intended)?? Reason I ask is that I'm in the midst of refinishing an '82 Les Paul that was originally painted. I've taken most of it down to the bare wood and, being a big fan of nice natural wood (especially 30-year old mahogany and maple), I was thinking of leaving it au natural. If I decided to leave the wood bare, would there be any drawbacks/detriments to using lemon oil on the whole body and neck? As much as it would be cool to restore it to original finish, that ain't gonna happen (I'm not quite as good as Andy R yet . . . msp_laugh.gif). Besides, it's been modded enough by a previous owner that I'm not concerned about getting it back to original anyway. But I do like the natural wood. The mahogany body has a really nice grain as does the three-piece maple top and neck. Could I use lemon oil to condition the wood without causing any ill effects over time? Is there a better oil to use on the body and neck? Opinions/feedback?? Thanks in advance . . . msp_smile.gif

I don't think you should use lemon oil on the back of the neck or the body.Get the proper oil finish for guitars otherwise it might end up being greasy.

I tried tung oil from the hardware store once on the back of a bare maple neck and it seemed kind of sticky. Maybe the stuff from Stew Mac is better for use on guitars.My link

if you have a guitar with a rosewood board that looks a bit dry (grey) then putting some lemon oil on will make it look fantastic, imo it don't affect tone but the neck will look darker...and i just got bored [bored]

go polish your fretboards [biggrin] Then poor some vodka in your head.

if you have a guitar with a rosewood board that looks a bit dry (grey) then putting some lemon oil on will make it look fantastic, imo it don't affect tone but the neck will look darker...

Along with making it look nicer, I thought I read or heard somewhere that it conditions the fretboard wood so that it won't dry out over time and split. But that's all I've heard or read.

Along with making it look nicer, I thought I read or heard somewhere that it conditions the fretboard wood so that it won't dry out over time and split. But that's all I've heard or read.

yes, if only the guitar shops we buy from thought about this...

I was reading the post about using lemon oil on fretboards and it got me wondering . . . why is it beneficial in this application (no pun intended)?? Reason I ask is that I'm in the midst of refinishing an '82 Les Paul that was originally painted. I've taken most of it down to the bare wood and, being a big fan of nice natural wood (especially 30-year old mahogany and maple), I was thinking of leaving it au natural. If I decided to leave the wood bare, would there be any drawbacks/detriments to using lemon oil on the whole body and neck? As much as it would be cool to restore it to original finish, that ain't gonna happen (I'm not quite as good as Andy R yet . . . msp_laugh.gif). Besides, it's been modded enough by a previous owner that I'm not concerned about getting it back to original anyway. But I do like the natural wood. The mahogany body has a really nice grain as does the three-piece maple top and neck. Could I use lemon oil to condition the wood without causing any ill effects over time? Is there a better oil to use on the body and neck? Opinions/feedback?? Thanks in advance . . . msp_smile.gif

A natural finish can look really nice, but I think it takes a bit more than lemon oil. I have a Rickenbacker 650D that I think looks great - according to Rickenbacker, it has a "hand rubbed oil finish." I'd love to see a Les Paul don with this type of finish.

.RicFrontSm.jpgRicBackSm.jpg

Archived