Gibson Brands Forums

2011 Beale St blue 335

Bobk42

I've only recently started thinking about buying an es-335 and of course it looks like I missed the boat on finding one in Beale St. blue. I saw one on Ebay that really got my attention and it was listed as a 2011 with a "buy it now" price of $2750. The seller seemed legit and the serial number verified the manufacture date of Jan. 15th. 2011. I hadn't done enough research to know if this was a good deal or not so I just sat back and watched to see what happened with the auction. After 3 or 4 days it ended abruptly but didn't say if it sold or not. Internet searches for this guitar indicate it isn't currently avaliable in this color so now to my question? Is it possible that Gibson is producing a limited amount of this color for 2011 but hasn't released too many yet? I'm just looking for anyones input or opinions as sometimes I can't figure out what Gibson is thinking. It seems when they have popular colors they discontinue them for whatever reason only to offer colors that aren't too appealing. For example, I know when I bought my Les Paul Supreme in 2004 they had several colors to choose from but now only offer it in the cherry sunburst, which is fine if you happen to want cherry sunburst, but if you don't want a cherry sunburst supreme there's nothing else to choose from. Does this even make sense? Seems like sales would suffer but what do I know? Actually, I do know! If the 335 was, or will be available in Beale St. blue again Gibson will make three grand off me. If not, their loss because I won't buy a guitar with a color I don't want. I'm in no hurry, I can wait to see to see what happens. Glad I bought the desert burst when I could. ---------Bob

The finishes Gibson offers are the most popular. Beale Street Blue is not very popular. I agree that it is nice to see and have all of the awesome finish options we have seen in the past. But the reality is many of these SKUs didn't sell well if at all, so Gibson has narrowed the list of finish options to the most popular. Limited runs are of course still being built in unique finishes, so the best way to follow these offerings is by keeping in touch with your local authorized Gibson dealer.

The finishes Gibson offers are the most popular. Beale Street Blue is not very popular. I agree that it is nice to see and have all of the awesome finish options we have seen in the past. But the reality is many of these SKUs didn't sell well if at all, so Gibson has narrowed the list of finish options to the most popular. Limited runs are of course still being built in unique finishes, so the best way to follow these offerings is by keeping in touch with your local authorized Gibson dealer.

What a difference a few days makes. When I wrote my original post the Supreme was only available in cherry sunburst. Today I look on the site and there it is, also available in Desertburst again! Correct me if I'm wrong but I assume it was originally discontinued because it wasn't a popular color. Hmmm, makes me think that if it's added as an option again this year the color must be pretty popular. I'm bias but the Desertburst IS the nicest color on the Supreme. I'm sure this was months in the planning but I'd like to think my post had something to do with it. (I know it didn't of course) But, if I was right about the Desertburst finish being popular maybe you guys could see what you can do about getting that Beale St. blue back on the 335's for a limited time. I know at least one guy that'll buy one. -----Bob

Beale St. Blue is a very stunning finish if you like blue guitars. I happen to love them! I walked into a local store last year and they had a Beale St. Blue ES-335 hanging there, and I thought I was gonna die. I'd always wanted a 335, and knowing how I am with blue guitars, I was feeling the need. But after thinking about it for a few days, I ended up ordering a 335 in Light Burst - which is a stunning finish all of its own. The Beale isn't as "blue" in real life as you see online, it's darker. I also have to admit that resale value entered into my mind, just in case. I've had the LB 335 for over a year now, with no regrets. But I still think Beale St. Blue is a very cool color. Maybe someday if I'm rich enough to own two 335s, then I'll get one as a backup. [thumbup]

Beale St. Blue is a very stunning finish if you like blue guitars. I happen to love them! I walked into a local store last year and they had a Beale St. Blue ES-335 hanging there, and I thought I was gonna die. I'd always wanted a 335, and knowing how I am with blue guitars, I was feeling the need. But after thinking about it for a few days, I ended up ordering a 335 in Light Burst - which is a stunning finish all of its own. The Beale isn't as "blue" in real life as you see online, it's darker. I also have to admit that resale value entered into my mind, just in case. I've had the LB 335 for over a year now, with no regrets. But I still think Beale St. Blue is a very cool color. Maybe someday if I'm rich enough to own two 335s, then I'll get one as a backup. [thumbup]

That's exactly where I'm at right now, in the "thinking about it" phase. I think I want the 335 more because of its color than for the guitar itself. In a way I'm glad they're not readily available because I may have made an impulsive decision, and at 3k+ I can't afford to act on impulse. I wasn't even planning on buying at this time but when I saw the blue it just gave me the itch to get one. I've also looked at the other colors but if I bought one I'd always be kicking myself for not waiting. It seems like if you wait long enough Gibson brings colors back again as they did in the case of my Desertburst Supreme. Resale value isn't a concern for me as I wouldn't resell it anyway. When I spend that much to buy a guitar I'm keeping it. But, on that note, It would seem that the Beale St. blue would hold it's value simply because of supply and demand. It's easy to find a pre-owned vintage sunburst but blue ones just aren't out there right now. The ES-137 has been available in blueburst for a long time so I don't buy the reasoning that blue isn't a popular color or they would hav discontinued it on the 137. I already have a Supreme and a double cut standard so I really don't need the 335. But of course not needing one has never stopped me before. When I bought the Supreme I told the wife it would be that last guitar I ever bought, then I bought the double cut, lol. I know I shouldn't be saying this here but I'd like to pick up a Strat. Shhhh!. I know its not a 335 but at half the price I can almost justify it to the wife. I'm totally with you on your point about being "rich enough". My Supreme cost me $2600 (new) in 2004 and the double cut standard was $1100. Not exactly spare change for the Supreme. Now you're lucky to get one on ebay (used) for that price. Glad I bought when I did because I wouldn't pay for what a new one costs now and I wouldn't buy a used one on ebay. ----Bob

The Beale I was looking at last year in my local shop was tagged at $2,299, and that's what I ended up paying for the Light Burst. At that time, these were on Musician's Friend for $3,149. Online prices are a rip.

$2,299, now you've got my interest again. Most of the Gibson dealers in my area Massachusetts / Connecticut have stopped selling them due to Gibsons policies for the sellers. The closest place I can even try them out is at a GC which is basically the same price as Musicians Friend. However, I just made a call to a dealer in the Boston area and quoted your price of $2299. He's making a call to Gibson to see what the numbers will look like. I really envy people who live in other parts of the country where guitars are readily available, it seems to be lacking in the Northeast. Ironically, I bought my Supreme from MF but at the time Gibson didn't forbid their retailers to list competitive pricing on their websites and I located one for less, called MF and they beat the competitors price. Granted, I took a long shot buying a guitar I'd never even seen or played but I give them credit for their 45 day return policy which gave me a cushion in case I didn't like it. I'll post the quoted price for the 335 when I find out.------Bob

• 4 weeks later...

$2,299, now you've got my interest again. Most of the Gibson dealers in my area Massachusetts / Connecticut have stopped selling them due to Gibsons policies for the sellers. The closest place I can even try them out is at a GC which is basically the same price as Musicians Friend. However, I just made a call to a dealer in the Boston area and quoted your price of $2299. He's making a call to Gibson to see what the numbers will look like. I really envy people who live in other parts of the country where guitars are readily available, it seems to be lacking in the Northeast. Ironically, I bought my Supreme from MF but at the time Gibson didn't forbid their retailers to list competitive pricing on their websites and I located one for less, called MF and they beat the competitors price. Granted, I took a long shot buying a guitar I'd never even seen or played but I give them credit for their 45 day return policy which gave me a cushion in case I didn't like it. I'll post the quoted price for the 335 when I find out.------Bob

Check out Alto Music in Middletown, NY. Not too too far from CT...it's off I-84. Huge store, great prices, lots of Gibsons.

• 2 weeks later...

Guitar Center in Crestwood, MO (St. Louis) had a new 335 in Beale St Blue sitting behind glass about 2 hours ago. They claim to have just gotten it in the store. If you call the store, ask for Mike in the guitar room because he knows more about it than anyone else in that store.

Guitar Center in Crestwood, MO (St. Louis) had a new 335 in Beale St Blue sitting behind glass about 2 hours ago. They claim to have just gotten it in the store. If you call the store, ask for Mike in the guitar room because he knows more about it than anyone else in that store.

Thanks for the info but it looks like someone else will be the proud owner of it. After the Gibson dealer in Boston blew me off by not getting back to me with a price quote I set my sights on a "Strat". At the time I really wanted the 335 but since I already have 2 Gibsons I'm satisfied with just owning the two. Also, it's nice to have another brand to play around with, totally different than the Gibsons but in a god way.----Bob

• 1 year later...

Archived