Gibson Brands Forums

GC Les Paul Special - need tuners?

glennc

Hello,

Recently picked up a Les Paul Special at GC. Sounds and built great. One thing I noticed is that the Gibson Vintage Reissue strings go flat on a regular basis. The guitar appears to have the Gibson Deluxe with Ivoroid Keys. Thinking that the problem may be in the tuners and not wishing to alter the guitar, does anyone know of a make and model of higher quality tuners with or without Ivoroid Knobs that will directly replace the Gibson Tuners. Something with a higher gear ratio maybe?

Thanks for any advice.

glennc

It's not the tuners......most likely the nut. Try this simple fix first before any major work : tune down and pull the strings out of the nut slots, use a mechanical pencil and "draw" in the nut slots to put some graphite in there. Put the strings back in the slots and tune up, tugging on the strings to stretch them and taking out the slack around the tuning post as you go. :)

Thank you Gentlemen,

I can't say they are luthier cut but I have put graphite in the nut slots and pre-stretched the heck out of the string prior to using. Been using it for three weeks and it still goes flat. Was thinking that a good set of tuners would help, but don't want to go with the grover that are usually used as replacements. Thanks for the thought.

glennc

Since you just bought it there's a chance the the guitar is acclimating itself to the temp and humidity in your house.

Depending on the day during winter my guitars will go a bit sharp or flat --- even though I certainly attempt to keep the house at a constant temperature and humidity level.

If you want new tuners, buy new tuners.

Tuning issues very rarely have to do with the machine heads.

I've had plenty that I thought weren't particularly accurate, or felt bad, or looked bad, but...

I have never had a set of tuners that were so crappy that the guitar wouldn't hold tune - wherever it ended up.

Something else is going on.

Just sayin'

Hello again to all,

I thank you all for your experienced advice. Not ever having had this problem except on an Chinese Epiphone, I assumed that it had to be the tuners. Will take a while an reflect, see how it does. It has been to a Gibson Authorized Warranty Repair facility for a good setup and advised everything was fine and to spec. Was going to get a new nut installed but didn't want to void the warranty. Thanks for your time, I can wait and save maybe save some money. Is the nut the most likely suspect. The guitar is in the same conditions that all my other Gibsons are although they are older vintage they all held up.

glennc

If all the strings are going flat then I think it's just the guitar adjusting to the temp/humidity while sitting in the case, it's wood. or it could be the case putting pressure on the neck or releasing pressure in your case

Howdy DiamonJig,

Appreciate the idea. In this case though, it has been out of the case for the whole time. Will wait awhile and see!

glennc

I'm with Riverside and Diamond Jig. If they're all going flat then there is probably nothing wrong. Certainly not with the nut. Probably a variation in the temparature.

Is it sitting in an area where there's an air vent blowing on it or sitting in the sun or next to a radiator?

:-k

I was having the same problem with my ES-339. I had the stock tuners replaced with Kluson # SD9005MN - 3 per side nickel oval buttons. They were direct replacements with no extra pilot holes drilled. You may need the correct size sleeves for your Les Paul Headstock. Now she stays where she is tuned. You may want to check your nut as others have suggested just so you don't spend money you don't have to. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but you get the idea. Good Luck!

ES-339005-1.jpg

ES-339001-1-1.jpg

I'm with Riverside and Diamond Jig. If they're all going flat then there is probably nothing wrong. Certainly not with the nut. Probably a variation in the temparature.

Is it sitting in an area where there's an air vent blowing on it or sitting in the sun or next to a radiator?

:-k

Hello badbluesplayer,

Thanks for the opinion. It is sitting on a guitar stand next to another guitar. They indeed seem to be going pretty much the same flat. No sun, vent and in South Florida, we don't even know what a radiator is, unless your talking automotive.

glennc

I was having the same problem with my ES-339. I had the stock tuners replaced with Kluson # SD9005MN - 3 per side nickel oval buttons. They were direct replacements with no extra pilot holes drilled. You may need the correct size sleeves for your Les Paul Headstock. Now she stays where she is tuned. You may want to check your nut as others have suggested just so you don't spend money you don't have to. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos, but you get the idea. Good Luck!

ES-339005-1.jpg

ES-339001-1-1.jpg

Thanks ES Fan,

Am an ES fan myself. I will wait and try the nut first. Klusons are kinda expensive and of great quality from what I can discern.

Appreciate your time and help.

glennc

Archived