Gibson Brands Forums

I'm going to Bozeman!!!!!!

modoc_333

Aha – You have go a bit abstract to picture that # of 6-strings crossing the shop-counters to actually end up somewhere. Band cellars, studios, living-rooms, secondhand markets and attics.

After all - unlike cars - they stay alive and around.

modoc_333:

Another question for the folks in Bozeman. I was told by a dealer that the True Vintage line (I'm not sure if he meant for the SJ-200 only or for all models) is no more. I'd be very interested to hear what "the source" has to say.

modoc_333:

Another question for the folks in Bozeman. I was told by a dealer that the True Vintage line (I'm not sure if he meant for the SJ-200 only or for all models) is no more. I'd be very interested to hear what "the source" has to say.

i have not heard this... but i will certainly find out! the J45TV sells VERY well in our store. i would hate to see it go!

well, i'm back from Bozeman! let me try to answer some questions!!!!!!!!!!!

"Well my Q. for Ren would be to which degree the hand scalloped bracing is identical talking one model at a time here. Where on the scale between strict micrometer wood surgery and intuitive, but qualified laissez faire, do they lay the cut. Are the braces carved over the exact same template or do things vary to conjure a certain range of nuances and mystique from ex. to ex.

Well, if he'd reply that this was classified information from the violet fog of the deepest G-laboratory - and send eyes telling me to behave - my spare Q. would be about the inner differences between the Hummingbird, the Sheryl Crow C&W and the Firebird Custom (and if he could make me one of those F-birds with a vintage toned top and no flames on the guard)"

well, the first part of this question is absolutely classified information. how they cut the bracing was explained to me by Ren, but he also told me not tell... and there is no way I will! lol as for the 2nd part, they are the same. i saw the parts being made and they are actually labeled the same at that point in the construction.

"Had I one question for Mr. Ferguson, it would be: "If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one guitar, which one would it be, and why?"

this question DID come up. he said his favorite it the Songwriter Deluxe. however, lately he has been totally in love with one particular J45. so, in general, he would pick the SWD.... but on this particular day it would be that J45.

"I'd ask you to go down to the J45(standard) production area and take a few pictures of the actual people that made my guitar (production date Nov 2010). Then email to me."

there is no production area for that one guitar. there is only one line.... for EVERYTHING they build. they are all mixed in. you would be surprised how few people actually build these. some of the things are done by just one or 2 people no matter what model comes down the line. they just change out what template they are using, or how they do things.

"Well honestly, i would aks him why Gibson acoustics are so hit and miss when they get to the showroom, compared to other major brands"

i think this is the dealer's fought. these guitars are not built to stand up to anything, or to be consistent from one to the next. they are HAND MADE. and they are built to sound as good as they possibly can. THIS IS PRIORTIY #1. Ren made that MORE THAN CLEAR in every conversation. if it isn't right when you play it, it's because the dealer hasn't taken the time to set it up correctly.

"i would want to know about they poeple there, the workers building them. how is thier quality of life? how long does the average worker stay there? how happy are they in thier job? i don't know if that would be overstepping your bounds, but i would be interested in that. thats where the money goes, you know."

i didn't pry to ask all of these questions. of course they would like to make more money, but who doesn't? many stay there for a very long time. some have been there since the beginning in 1989. they really are a very close knit family trying to make guitars. i can guarantee that.

"i would also like to know, concerning the workers, who taught them? how does the factory go about passing down skill from one to another? i would also like to know, what is different about how they build them now, as opposed to in the past?"

all training is done on the job by the guys before them... including Ren.

"also, am curious about the wood they use, where they get it. such as the mahogony. we all know that the sussplies of brazilian rosewood are dried up, i get it, but what i don't accept so easily is that there can not be another wood that does not sound as good, and why not better? so, how do they determine what is a good sounding wood or not? what is the difference between mahogony and sapele? i don't mean just where it is from, i mean how is it different and how do THEY determine the quality and choose what to use?"

Ren does this... sometimes traveling the world to do it. he goes to India to pick rosewood, etc. this is VERY important to them.

"another good question, is how do they qualify what is a good guitar from an average one, as far as tone goes?"

the guys play them. and YES it does matter. i saw guitars there that will never see the light of day b/c they sounded bad.... i'm talking Luthier's Choice even. VERY expensive guitars that took months to build and would cost a fortune. they were beautiful, but they didn't make the cut and will never be shipped.

"another: what materiel do they use for the bridge and the nut? i have played some pretty bum gibsons in the stores, but have played some pretty nice used ones, so i suspect they use crap for these. as a dealer, i might be curious if you could specify a little thing like that."

this has been covered on these forums extensively. bone and tusq are the most common.

"and finally, if i was in bozeman, i think the important question would be where do you get some good blues around here?"

LOL. there are some clubs... but apparently not as many as there used to be.

"Some folks may already know the answer to this, but I'd be curious about the role of the acoustic Custom Shop. Do they hand-build, build on a separate assembly line, just put bling on guitars built on the standard line, merely exist as a "state of mind" within the normal production facility, or what? There's a lot of buzz out there about custom electrics coming from Nashville but much less, it seems, about the acoustic Custom Shop"

for the most part, it's all one line. the Luthier's Choice guitars get more work by the top 3. many of them still see work from the regular guys and girls though. the inlay, etc is done in a separate room though. the "custom shop" is the size of a small bedroom and mostly is used for design, inlay, and things of that sort.

"I ordered a custom made J-185 last week and I would like to know how many acoustic guitars ( custom, special order and the same old same old models) are produced annually by the good people at Gibson Guitars, Bozeman, Montana?

I would be surprised to learn if they make more than one thousand a year. Am I close?"

about 40 to 65 per day completed. though there are about 400 in some state of build at any one time.

"Another question for the folks in Bozeman. I was told by a dealer that the True Vintage line (I'm not sure if he meant for the SJ-200 only or for all models) is no more. I'd be very interested to hear what "the source" has to say."

the TV line is still alive

well, i hope that helps! I had TONS of fun and learned even more. just hanging out with Ren was amazing! i would LOVE to be able to just pick his brain for years! he talked about so many things i had never even thought of... and that's saying a lot! i'm pretty serious gear nerd! LOL

Thank you very, very much, that was great!

Lots of good insights and feedback, must have been a great experience.

Would not be a bad idea to post this on the AGF, to calm down a few of the Gibby hater out there ..

Cheers!

modoc- thank you so much for taking the time to ask and now post these questions/answers! It sounds as tho' you had a great time...I hope that it also translates to better sales for your store 'cause your experience and enthusiasm will definitely aid customers buying/playing decisions. Traveling very near to Montana each summer may give me the opportunity to visit the factory someday, tho' the everyday person probably wouldn't have access to much info, if any. The disappointing part was that Ren would pick the SWD instead of J-200....

welcome back!

I sell guitars at a dealer who is just getting upgraded to the status of being a 5 Star Gibson Acoustic Dealer. This means I get to go out to the plant in Bozeman for a tour, training, and tons of fun! I'm absolutely stoked about it! What would you guys want to see there? What would you ask Ren if you had a few days with him?

I will tell you, show them this photo( i just bought this J-200 was just made less than a month ago) PLEASE ask them how in the **ell can they let this guitar be approved to sell???? please ask them??? thanks!

sorry purecountry... i'm already back home! i did reply in your other thread though. hopefully my advice helps you.

and to the rest: no problem! i am glad to contribute. it really was a great experience. to be able to see how much hands-on work goes into them, and to learn so much was great. i think it WILL help sales..... having a ton of Gibby acoustics can't hurt either! if any of you have questions about specific models, or need anything just email me! yes, it's a shameless plug, but i have to do it! LOL. i may be a little slow, b/c i only get a chance to check the work email a couple of times per day. keith.edwards@baileybrothers.com hit me up. i will answer any questions you need. even if you ARE buying from someone else!

Thank you so much for sharing. Looks as if you got all the details back home and what precious stuff.

Fascinating with the one secret kept there.

Apropos the recent talk about The Board being on the edge of another crash, information like this really should be saved (I'll paste after writing here, for sure).

It was a privilege to read, more than interesting - you have a cream job.

And the possibility to email you about this and that is an extra bonus. Bravo and thanks again.

well, i'm back from Bozeman! let me try to answer some questions!!!!!!!!!!!

"Well my Q. for Ren would be to which degree the hand scalloped bracing is identical – talking one model at a time here. Where on the scale between strict micrometer wood surgery and intuitive, but qualified laissez faire, do they lay the cut. Are the braces carved over the exact same template or do things vary to conjure a certain range of nuances and mystique from ex. to ex.

Well, if he'd reply that this was classified information from the violet fog of the deepest G-laboratory - and send eyes telling me to behave - my spare Q. would be about the inner differences between the Hummingbird, the Sheryl Crow C&W and the Firebird Custom (and if he could make me one of those F-birds with a vintage toned top and no flames on the guard)"

well, the first part of this question is absolutely classified information. how they cut the bracing was explained to me by Ren, but he also told me not tell... and there is no way I will! lol as for the 2nd part, they are the same. i saw the parts being made and they are actually labeled the same at that point in the construction.

"Had I one question for Mr. Ferguson, it would be: "If you were stranded on a desert island and could have only one guitar, which one would it be, and why?"

this question DID come up. he said his favorite it the Songwriter Deluxe. however, lately he has been totally in love with one particular J45. so, in general, he would pick the SWD.... but on this particular day it would be that J45.

"I'd ask you to go down to the J45(standard) production area and take a few pictures of the actual people that made my guitar (production date Nov 2010). Then email to me."

there is no production area for that one guitar. there is only one line.... for EVERYTHING they build. they are all mixed in. you would be surprised how few people actually build these. some of the things are done by just one or 2 people no matter what model comes down the line. they just change out what template they are using, or how they do things.

"Well honestly, i would aks him why Gibson acoustics are so hit and miss when they get to the showroom, compared to other major brands"

i think this is the dealer's fought. these guitars are not built to stand up to anything, or to be consistent from one to the next. they are HAND MADE. and they are built to sound as good as they possibly can. THIS IS PRIORTIY #1. Ren made that MORE THAN CLEAR in every conversation. if it isn't right when you play it, it's because the dealer hasn't taken the time to set it up correctly.

"i would want to know about they poeple there, the workers building them. how is thier quality of life? how long does the average worker stay there? how happy are they in thier job? i don't know if that would be overstepping your bounds, but i would be interested in that. thats where the money goes, you know."

i didn't pry to ask all of these questions. of course they would like to make more money, but who doesn't? many stay there for a very long time. some have been there since the beginning in 1989. they really are a very close knit family trying to make guitars. i can guarantee that.

"i would also like to know, concerning the workers, who taught them? how does the factory go about passing down skill from one to another? i would also like to know, what is different about how they build them now, as opposed to in the past?"

all training is done on the job by the guys before them... including Ren.

"also, am curious about the wood they use, where they get it. such as the mahogony. we all know that the sussplies of brazilian rosewood are dried up, i get it, but what i don't accept so easily is that there can not be another wood that does not sound as good, and why not better? so, how do they determine what is a good sounding wood or not? what is the difference between mahogony and sapele? i don't mean just where it is from, i mean how is it different and how do THEY determine the quality and choose what to use?"

Ren does this... sometimes traveling the world to do it. he goes to India to pick rosewood, etc. this is VERY important to them.

"another good question, is how do they qualify what is a good guitar from an average one, as far as tone goes?"

the guys play them. and YES it does matter. i saw guitars there that will never see the light of day b/c they sounded bad.... i'm talking Luthier's Choice even. VERY expensive guitars that took months to build and would cost a fortune. they were beautiful, but they didn't make the cut and will never be shipped.

"another: what materiel do they use for the bridge and the nut? i have played some pretty bum gibsons in the stores, but have played some pretty nice used ones, so i suspect they use crap for these. as a dealer, i might be curious if you could specify a little thing like that."

this has been covered on these forums extensively. bone and tusq are the most common.

"and finally, if i was in bozeman, i think the important question would be where do you get some good blues around here?"

LOL. there are some clubs... but apparently not as many as there used to be.

"Some folks may already know the answer to this, but I'd be curious about the role of the acoustic Custom Shop. Do they hand-build, build on a separate assembly line, just put bling on guitars built on the standard line, merely exist as a "state of mind" within the normal production facility, or what? There's a lot of buzz out there about custom electrics coming from Nashville but much less, it seems, about the acoustic Custom Shop"

for the most part, it's all one line. the Luthier's Choice guitars get more work by the top 3. many of them still see work from the regular guys and girls though. the inlay, etc is done in a separate room though. the "custom shop" is the size of a small bedroom and mostly is used for design, inlay, and things of that sort.

"I ordered a custom made J-185 last week and I would like to know how many acoustic guitars ( custom, special order and the same old same old models) are produced annually by the good people at Gibson Guitars, Bozeman, Montana?

I would be surprised to learn if they make more than one thousand a year. Am I close?"

about 40 to 65 per day completed. though there are about 400 in some state of build at any one time.

"Another question for the folks in Bozeman. I was told by a dealer that the True Vintage line (I'm not sure if he meant for the SJ-200 only or for all models) is no more. I'd be very interested to hear what "the source" has to say."

the TV line is still alive

well, i hope that helps! I had TONS of fun and learned even more. just hanging out with Ren was amazing! i would LOVE to be able to just pick his brain for years! he talked about so many things i had never even thought of... and that's saying a lot! i'm pretty serious gear nerd! LOL

Thank you for answering my question regarding production volume.

So far, I have toured Gibson's Memphis plant and a personal tour at Santa Cruz Guitars. Gibson's tour was very flashy costing $10.00 per person and the Santa Cruz tour was free including Costco chocolate chip cookies!

The Gibson tour took a half an hour while the Santa Cruz took over an hour given by Richard, the owner of Santa Cruz Guitars.

The volume of guitars made per day at Gibson's plant was shocking compared to Santa Cruz. Both plants produce quality guitars priced from $2K to $5K on average and more.

If you get a chance to see guitar production, acoustic or electric, do it. You will appreciate your guitar more so than ever.

Sincerely,

John

Archived