Gibson Brands Forums

Scooters

Rocky4

I bought a new yamaha 125cc scooter about 3 yrs ago-they are fun and it gets about 100 mpg-pay attention and assume every car on the street doesnt see you and you will do fine-I come from a motorcycling background and it can be scary out there-if its at all possible purchase in the off season,(unless you live in a always warm climate) and save some money.My 125 will do 60 mph without problem riding alone-I generally ride my big bike 1452cc,but a scooter is a economical fun way of getting around-just dont have it as your only form of transportation-not a lot of fun in the rain

Scooters are a GAS !!

Bikes generally need leathers etc and boots so not so good for smart outings

Scooters are easy to step on and go and can be ridden in a suit in town

The maxi scooters like the Honda Silver Wing and Yamaha T-Max are serious travellers with 100mph capability

V

:-({|=

My wife just left the working world yesterday and I'm spending close to $100.00 a week on gas just going to work and back.

The scooter is enticing but I just can't see myself on one.

Might be worth trying though.

For that kind of money, why not get a motorcycle?

Scooters are cheaper and easier to use. I would kill myself on a motorcycle.

I met my wife on a dating site, my headline was "Don't ask me what kind of Harley I have"

My wife and I have recently purchased Honda Scooters. We live in a Large planned area neighborhood that has everything close buy Movies theaters, Shopping, Restaurants, Sporting locations and gyms and hiking trails all within a 10 square my area. We decide for puttering around doing errand and catching breakfast and lunch might be the way So we purchased a silver Metropolitan and a Ruckus in Black and Orange. We love them and use them all the time to tule around the neighborhood district . Although my wife is starting to looks with avarice at my ruckus and it's rack so we may have to sell her metro and buy another Rukus and she wants hers lowered and stretched.

I once had a bug in my bonnet that I should save gas by getting a scooter. The cost was unbelievable! So I researched gas engine-ifying my bicycle. I figured I could get into it for about $700.00. By time I figured licensing it, insuring it, and not being able to drive it each and every day during the summer months, due to rain, etc., it would take 2 years to break even on the deal. You'll also need a back-up plan for getting home in case you get stuck at work by a late afternoon into evening rain. You will most definitely want to get fenders.

Yes, licensing it. Check local laws on pedacycles or pedal cycles. And, license or not, you need to carry insurance on the thing. You'll need to license your scooter too, and insure it. You may even need to get a motorized cycle license, if you don't already have one.

An electric motored bike could sneak in under the radar of the DMV, as the licensing is based on CID, not battery size. It would be about as much money for an electric, but it is mostly and 'assist' in wheeled commuting. It works best on flat ground or gentle slopes. Uphill may require some pedaling. According to their literature, one charge would just get me to work, 8hrs on the charger should get me home, but that is probably based on a new battery, so a second one would probably be needed at $200. 20 mph top speed.

The electric ones are pretty stealthy. It takes a discerning eye to see it is not a normal bike from a distance.

You might want to consider one of the larger scooters like a Honda silver wing or Suzuki Burgman. I have a 2004 burgman 400 that I absolutely love for commuting. 65MPG, good acceleration. I cruise at 65MPH to work and back easily. I worry about the smaller scoots I see around the campus. The drivers just can't keep up with traffic sometimes.

Scooters are cheaper and easier to use. I would kill myself on a motorcycle.

I met my wife on a dating site, my headline was "Don't ask me what kind of Harley I have"

The MSRP of the 125 you mentioned is $3400. You can suuuure get a rock solid used motorcycle for that much... and have a ton left to take a riding class... and maybe buy a second motorcycle. Hey man if you wanna scoot, then scoot! Check out the Aprillas too. Just don't go crazy with the nitrous.

Scooters also get sold second hand also just like motorcycle - we bought two that were about a year for one and almost two years old for the other old and were just about 60% off list. I would have never bought one as my major transportation but there fun to run errands around the neighborhood

We live near a major university so the used market is pretty good.

The problem I've noticed with scooters is with comments like, "you don't need leathers," etc.

I was brought up in a car and motorcycle dealership in the 50s. Dad back then was on a mid-range Harley en route home in town doing about 30 when he couldn't miss that German Shepherd and slud what seemed like half a block and road-rashed almost through his hard hat. He was wearing WWII bomber sheepskin/leather jacket and bibs so he was beaten up some but no damage.

A buddy was riding his bicycle to work in Japan when he got run a bit off the road and credits his un-smashed skull to a hard hat. The road rash wasn't all that bad and nothing apparently broken although he hurt pretty good for a month or so.

A scooter has less stability than a bike with bigger wheels. Period. They're cheap to run and fun at low to medium ability at low speeds and it'd be handy in ways around town but... don't ever think they're safer. And yeah, I've ridden 'em when I was a kid; actually I was in my mid 50s when I last had one for a parade unit. They're a lot better now, but... still not the stability.

I'm sufficiently libertarian that I dislike laws saying you've gotta wear seatbelts in cars and hard hats on a broombike, but... you gotta realize you pay your money and take your choice.

Figure it this way: The formula for kinetic energy is one half the mass times speed squared. When your bod hits a sticky-up thing on the pavement or another vehicle... The faster you go, the more kinetic energy stored up for when you stop ... abruptly.

m

Good Point Milod - I would never ride one on an arterial street. Not around here at least, we ride ours only in our neighborhood area, probably never had it above 30 MPH. But they are on the streets around us usually with a kid in shorts a t-shirt and flip flops I always cringe when I see them. The people driving cars don't see people on two wheels period whether it's a bicycle or in my case a fully marked Harley Motor so a scooter on major roads just isn't happening at least not with us.

There's a guy that lives somewhere around me that looks exactly like the above photo, maybe a little larger but close, we see him several times a month for several years now riding down the major road on his little moped. The weird thing is I've never seen him without at least four large pizza's on the rack at the back of his moped. Finally saw him Saturday when I went to get a soda at the local Costco warehouse prepared food area (when I was shopping with my wife), buying four large Pepperoni pizza's. The kids behind the counter were talking about him after he left I guess they all know him. They said that's all he eats every meal, every day Pepperoni pizza, He comes in every other day and buys four large pie's and a 20 pack of DoctorPepper.

I'm surprised his heart hasn't exploded if that's all he eats

I agree with all comments re safety

And certainly the false sense of security a scooter may engender

Just as with driving a car...the biggest danger is the 'nut behind the wheel'.....

Good training and an intelligent approach to riding at all times

With due regard for the unseen dangers

A touch of healthy paranoia and knowing that other drivers may not see you and may wish to shove you out of the way

Will not detract from the essential truth

Scootering is more fun than anyone deserves !!

V

:-({|=

I've never ridden a motor bike and you will never get me one one.

There was a local radio personality I used to listen to Robert L.(as in lovable) Collins, aka Uncle Bobby. He loved and rode motor bikes. His motto was, "It's not a matter of IF you will fall off your bike, but when," caveat emptor. He died about 15 years ago in a small plane accident.

Archived