Gibson Brands Forums

Happy 88th birthday Doc Watson!

jaxson50

I always enjoyed Doc's "Tennessee Stud" version too.

I was lucky in that I got to hear Jimmy Driftwood's, too - he wrote it - and got to talk to an interesting guy.

Something about that type of music, much as I enjoy "electric," just catches you. Doc could probably play about anything but held to his roots, I think, given that his ability gave him the opportunity to make a living at it.

m

Milo I went to a Merlefest which is a show Doc puts on each year in NC. Doc had been on stage for about 30 minutes when he started playing Purple Haze! Yep the Hendrix song. Of course Doc put a unique spin on it but the whole crowd went crazy. I about chocked when Doc said "excuse me while I kiss the sky"! [thumbup]

All kidding aside, I know of lots of excellent musicians who have played over the years with exceptional skill and talent. I've never heard anything but good about Doc as a human being as well as a great picker.

I wish more folks of that degree of talent would occasionally take time to do a crossover to kinda set an example that the truly great musicians seldom have but one dimension to their musical interests and abilities.

Three cheers for Doc. I regret I've never had the opportunity to meet him.

m

Archived