Gibson Brands Forums

es339

Badger50

Just got a used es339 2007 and i can hear it popping at the nut when iam tuning it and while bending the strings.

I have been told the strings are too tight in the nut, and to file the slots in the nut.....Is this good advice?

Just got a used es339 2007 and i can hear it popping at the nut when iam tuning it and while bending the strings.

I have been told the strings are too tight in the nut, and to file the slots in the nut.....Is this good advice?

Only if you know what you're doing and have the right tools. Did the previous owner put on a heavier gauge string which might cause the binding? 339's come from the factory with 10's. Is it on one string, more than one?

I'd try a string change to 10's and if that doesn't work, I'd take it to a luthier for a good going over and setup. That's just me though :lol:

BTW, congrats on the 339!! =D>

Welcome.

Yep, check the string size.

The factory setup is for .10 - .46 strings - does it have an .11 or .12 set on it now ?

If so, you should reset it for the increase in string size and tension (including the nut and saddle slots).

If not, some lube should help - pencil lead (graphite) as Fringe says or a product like Big Bends Nut Sauce which you can also put on the saddles.

Archived