Gibson Brands Forums

Color of '61 Reissue (2011)

Monty Burns

Hi,

I would buy a Gibson SG '61Ri but unfortunately no shop have it available in my country.

Would take it online but I have a small problem: what is the real color of '61Ri?

I have seen many pictures and, in many cases there are big differences in tone. Ex:

1st

Gibson-SG-%2761-Reissue-Heritage-Cherry.jpg

2nd

2333251183_0487420f36.jpg

I hate 1st, too red, too bright

(and I love 2nd) [cursing]

Hi all,

if you are purchasing one online you can request a photo of the actual guitar.

All sales (online store) answer me: "I can send pictures, but not sure that photos of the guitar that will send you..."

In practice, time wasted [thumbdn]

As StijnV said, every guitar finish is different.

I know, but I don't like that

I think it's cool they all look a bit different. Makes it more interesting. If mine was stolen, and i would see it on a gig or something i could walk straight up and rip it out of the bastards hands and say that's mine . I would recognize her. That's have to count for something. Kinda boring if they all looked perfect the same. That's my opinion at least. Anyway good hunting [biggrin]

By the way, that 2nd pic you posted looks aged because of the browner color and yellowed binding and selector switch. Are you sure it is a straight up '61RI?

You're right!

I made ​​a big mistake with that picture!

I just checked: it is Sg '61Ri but GOTW N.35 *satin walnut*

[crying]

The '61Ri (no gotw) what color? Bright red? Or dark, almost brown? And compared to a standard SG 2011?

The '61Ri (no gotw) what color? Bright red? Or dark, almost brown? And compared to a standard SG 2011?

The 61 reissue is the same color as the Standard, they use the same paint on both. Colors vary from guitar to guitar depending on the darkness of the mahogany under the paint, among other factors.

The 61 reissue is the same color as the Standard, they use the same paint on both. Colors vary from guitar to guitar depending on the darkness of the mahogany under the paint, among other factors.

What to do ...

I do not like white.

Black is impossible to find.

Cherry...if dark it's ok, if bright-red... [cursing]

Hey Monty Burns,

I posted this thread last week after I got my '61 RI, and I think the photos in it do a good job of capturing the color of how this beautiful axe looks in person. Hope it helps.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/64722-61-reissue-on-the-way-pics/

I have seen [thumbup]

In fact I asked me if the color that I saw was real or artifact. (As I have said many times, I like the red...dark, almost brown. If your SG '61 is like photos, I don't like it. I'm sorry)

p.s.:

SG stanadrd ebony it's ok, it ebony!

But neck, body, pups...

No, if I buy a SG will be a SG '61 Ri [biggrin]

I saw a black one at a local music shop where I live in Maryland, USA, back in November. If you are interested, I can save you a dime and call them for you and report back to see if they ship to your country and get you a price and maybe pics if they could. Let me know.

I saw a black one at a local music shop where I live in Maryland, USA, back in November. If you are interested, I can save you a dime and call them for you and report back to see if they ship to your country and get you a price and maybe pics if they could. Let me know.

Thanks,

but buy from U.S. is not very convenient for me (I'm Italian): I have to pay (expensive) shipping cost and taxes (duty and VAT ~ 25%).

[crying]

Archived