Gibson Brands Forums

Battle of the Bands advice

Silenced Fred

I hate battle of the bands competitions and after doing round one of Emergenza back in 2006 and winning the F'ing night by applause level, but getting third, I vowed to never do another one. We advanced to the next round, but told them to shove it. It is too much pressure and it makes me act like a catty, mean girl ***** because I spend the night making fun of the other bands. Not the person I like or want to be.

Anyway, my advice to you is to not worry about winning or you'll over think it. Just go out there and play your style. A#1 is entertaining the people that came out. My mindset at every performance is that people paid to see a show and dammit they are going to get one. You will be entertained.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fred, to add to the list of advice, be professional. Set up and load out as quickly as possible. Be highly organized with your time and equimpment. Professionalism will be important to anyone giving away free studio time or someone wanting to book you or a gig..

+10000....

This too.

I hate battle of the bands competitions and after doing round one of Emergenza back in 2006 and winning the F'ing night by applause level, but getting third, I vowed to never do another one. We advanced to the next round, but told them to shove it. It is too much pressure and it makes me act like a catty, mean girl ***** because I spend the night making fun of the other bands. Not the person I like or want to be.

Anyway, my advice to you is to not worry about winning or you'll over think it. Just go out there and play your style. A#1 is entertaining the people that came out. My mindset at every performance is that people paid to see a show and dammit they are going to get one. You will be entertained.

A big hell yeah to that!

My friend said he wanted to win, I said I wanted to rock the hell out of the place, and we plan on doing so. We aren't going to win, I have pretty much accepted that, there is a band that is the favorite by the school. They are all politically correct, play sappy pop songs, etc. I plan on having a great time and hopefully getting some people to notice some stuff out of it

Hell, its just playing a gig and hoping to get some stuff. Its for my old high school so there will only be about 5 or 6 bands and almost everyone ends up with a prize anyways

And when you play and all those chickies start hitting up on you, try and remember they want you because you are a guitar player, not because of who you are as a person.

the girls who want guitar players, I want because they are whores not because they are people [lol]

On a serious note, I hear you

the girls who want guitar players, I want because they are whores not because they are people [lol]

On a serious note, I hear you

lol..dude, whores are poeple too.

we know this because scientific studies have shown that they get pregnant the same as poeple.

And when you play and all those chickies start hitting up on you, try and remember they want you because you are a guitar player, not because of who you are as a person.

But chicks don't like me If I don't have a guitar in my hands

You also have to wipe off to unless you want to go around with a face that smells like a fish basket.

Nasty! Having a beard requires extra washing up after putting your face in the pudding.

I understand now! hence the [blink]

No offense to girls your age, but they don't hit their stride until around 25. Too uptight before that. They just don't appreciate and really lay into getting serviced.

On the men's side, I couldn't grow this King Leonidas beard until I was thirty. Hard to get your beard messy if you don't have one.

I agree with NOT looking at the floor, your hands, each other... engage the audience, even if only to rile them up. watch footage of Jim Morrison live in CT for inspiration. :)

There's nothing more boring to judges or audiences than players playing "for themselves" on stage.

Speaking of them, pretend that the judges are not there. i was in a BotB way back when, where a band literally "sucked up" to the judges, and ignored the audience: it was painful to watch.

i have a feeling you're gonna kill tho: break a leg!

I agree with NOT looking at the floor, your hands, each other... engage the audience, even if only to rile them up. watch footage of Jim Morrison live in CT for inspiration. :)

There's nothing more boring to judges or audiences than players playing "for themselves" on stage.

Speaking of them, pretend that the judges are not there. i was in a BotB way back when, where a band literally "sucked up" to the judges, and ignored the audience: it was painful to watch.

i have a feeling you're gonna kill tho: break a leg!

Yeah, nothing we are playing is too hard. I have a good handle on it, and it sounds killer! The mix isn't too muddy for the songs and the separate parts don't fight each other, but gel pretty well.

I grow such a dirty half beard. It's not very attractive.

My friend's call me Mr. Scruffles because I refuse to shave, but my beard is nasty. Its one of those beards that is really wild, but my facial hair is like really blonde, so it doesn't show up.

That's why I took the fuzz moniker, I am quite fuzzy...

Yeah my bandmates both have sweet beards and I got nothin. My drummer has this mustache right now that makes him look so Mexican.. My other bandmate is Persian and I swear that dude has had a full beard since he was like 14.

In a way I'm jealous and in a way I know that I'm better off in the long run. I'm not really down with the whole super hairy dude look.

Yeah my bandmates both have sweet beards and I got nothin. My drummer has this mustache right now that makes him look so Mexican.. My other bandmate is Persian and I swear that dude has had a full beard since he was like 14.

In a way I'm jealous and in a way I know that I'm better off in the long run. I'm not really down with the whole super hairy dude look.

I got wicked sweet chest hair though. might have to import some to my beard

and i never really cared for the stache on me, it makes me look like a pedo

I would look pretty rad with a stache but my stache is a little too weak right now. I don't want any stache at all unless it's full on.

My drummer looks pretty funny. His stache is intense. He was holding some beer and went up to some chicks our age and started hitting on them and the moustache totally turned them off and creeped them out. It was hilarious.

So to keep this on subject... I need more facial hair for the ladies to win battle of the bands right? Is that the general consensus? [biggrin]

I would hit a hair stylist/salon. They can better assist you on that subject.

That's kinda like asking health questions on here.

But, YES, that would be a help. Appearance is important.

Archived