Gibson Brands Forums

Through the mental jukebox

E-minor7

"Jemima Surrender

I'm gonna give it to you

I'll bring over my Fender

and I'll play all night for you"

Sang The Band in the Jemima Surrender tune from 1969.

Do we have songs that include a Gibson. Could be a Hummingbird, could be a Les Paul, anything –

I never heard one. . .

"Mind Bender" by (I believe) Stillwater

My daddy was a Gibson

My momma was a Fender

That's why they call me Mind Bender.

If you want another Fender song:

"Joe's Garage" by Zappa

And a cheesy little amp

with a sign on the front that said Fender Champ

And a second-hand guitar

It was a Stratocaster with a whammy bar

I feel bad leaving out Martin. So:

"Pickin' To Beat The Devil" The Pure Prairie League

A worn out Chevy and a beat up Martin is all I'll ever own

Edit:

Would this qualify as a Gibson lyric?

"Down on the Corner" CCR

Poorboy twangs the rhythm out on his Kalamazoo

Edit #2

I know this doesn't count, but a tune I wrote called "Johnny and Joan" has a line in it that goes:

Johnny gets home and picks up his Paul

He strums a few chords and sings to the wall

Too bad John Hyatt has a thing for Teles and red '63 Harmonys.

But there are lots of 'em, out there especially with Les Pauls in the lyrics.

Just a few would be

James McMurty - Valley Road

"...line of crank off his gold top Les Paul"

The Clash - All the Young Punks

"And one of them had a Les Paul heart attack machine"

Mary Chapin Carpenter - Alot Like Me

"He had a big old Gibson and a pickup truck"

Do we have songs that include a Gibson. Could be a Hummingbird, could be a Les Paul, anything –

I never heard one. . .

Mark Knopfler's country-courtin'-style "Red Staggerwing"

If i was a fender guitar

A fender painted red

You could play me, darlin'

Until your fingers bled

If i was one of them gibsons

Like a '58 or '9

You could plug me in

And play me anytime

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgmBdpAt0uM&feature=related

Remember reading an interview where John Fogerty mentioned that there were so many good bands emerging at the time Credence were burning, he forgot to realize what they in fact had goin' themselves. How sympathetic of a man in the center of one of the biggest bands this globe ever saw.

Never was aware of the Kalamazoo line, though I've heard the song since it came out. It definitely counts as a G-phrase in my book.

The peculiar thing is that I really can't judge how this word sounds in American/English ears - what kind of general ring there is to it - but over here it works as a perfect name to include in a song

(thought of doin' it some months ago).

Apart from that, things are coming together now. It's reassuring to see some Gibsons covered in these tunes. Everything else would have been strangely wrong.

And that Ray Wiley H. guy sure doesn't take any prisoners. Thanx to this Board I know who he is, , , and what's up when he talks about opening a pack of Black Diamonds heavies.

I have to try a set soon -

The great Georges Moustaki's Mademoiselle Gibson is an entire paen to his favourite guitar and all-American girl ('Tu es toujours la plus jolie/Des filles des États-Unis'). Unfortunately I can find no recording of the song online and I lost my copy of it along with a fantastic version of the Internationale over a decade ago, when I lent my one and only Moustaki cassette to somebody called Emily (wherever I may find her). In any case, even if I had the cassette, I would have no way of uploading the song for you, so our only chance of hearing it at this juncture would be to beg fellow Moustaki fan Mr Gibs to record a version of said song on his Super Jumbo. Go on Mr Gibs, you know you want to!

Anyway, after years of wondering just what kind of guitar Mlle. Gibs might be, seeing as Moustaki has been seen with little else but a classical for decades (take note, Matt Sear and Mr Gibs), I believe I have found the answer. Moustaki's song is nothing less than an ode to a J-50 (1950s?, early 1960s?), which clearly is also an ode to joy. Here she is, involved in the performance of Moustaki's famous ode to freedom (and the love that conquers even that force of nature):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cw3LkBEe7M

The hairs on the back of my neck just stood on end.

Un peu de recherche et voilà! One free link to Mam'zelle Gibson by Georges Moustaki:

How splendid reflex – Only heard of, never actually heard Georges Moustaki. A giving acquaintance when being in that corner.

How splendid reflex – Only heard of, never actually heard Georges Moustaki. A giving acquaintance when being in that corner.

Also worked out that the guitar in question is probably a 1959 (certainly no later). The song was first released in 1977, and refers to both GM and MG being 18 years younger when meeting, which would date the rencontre to the end of the 50s, assuming it was a newly written song in '77. Maybe 1958, if Moustaki wrote the song the year before release. On Moustaki's site there is a picture of him aged 25, playing his J50. He was born in 1934, so again, that would make his guitar a 1959 or earlier. It's unlikely, though, that he had enough money to visit America and buy such an instrument before 1959, which was the year that he penned Milord for Edith Piaf, his first big hit as a writer. Unless Piaf whisked him over to New York during 1958, the year when she first met him. All of which is assuming MG was a brand new J-50 when GM encountered her... When did they bring in the bigger pickguard, people?

Archived