Gibson Brands Forums

pledge on an ebony fret board?

pete c

would it be safe to use pledge to clean an ebony fretboard, or plain mineral oil. i dont have the cash to buy anything else and im board so i want to clean the fret board and polish the frets. our poor yorkie had an unexpected trip to the vet needless to say my bank account is in the negative now.

Mineral oil is "okay".

If it gets gummy, clean it off with a bit of lemon oil - small amounts for cleaning because it's got a solvent in it that could soften the inlay glue.

If you trust them, go with what your shop recommends.

would it be safe to use pledge to clean an ebony fretboard.

:unsure: [blush]

I used to do the same thing, until I had a Luthier take care of my guitars, and he was shocked I could slide my fingers across the fret-board with all the wax build up [biggrin]

Goes to show the fingers can adapt to any situation [blink]

Fret Doctor is the best stuff out there. Here is a nice article by Ed Boyle (owner of Fret Doctor). He states that "Mineral oil merely coats the surface, giving it a bright sheen, but does not penetrate the wood." Note that he also says that some products are OK, for example "Almond oil, Walnut oil, etc., food grade, are probably O.K., but make sure they don't contain solvents like naphtha or other petroleum distillates."

Valve Oil, it's mostly mineral oil, it's plenty cheap, and it comes in a great little bottle that makes application really easy. Finger Grime comes right off and the fret board loves the stuff. Plus, unlike lemon oil, valve oil has no adverse effects on the inlay glue.

Archived