Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Swingster intonation help!

LimerickRake

Ok so I got my new swingster not too long ago, and switched the stock massive jazz strings for some EB hybrid slinkies. It was grand at first, no problems at all with intonation, but I was a bit annoyed with some buzz off the E string so I adjusted the bridge. To make a long story short, the intonation is ****, I tune up the G to the A using the 5th fret of the A, and any chord is off, it seems to just be the G, but might have other minor intonation issues. Does anyone know how the bridge is to be set? Is it supposed to be higher on one end? Is this problem most likely be due to it being set too high? I appreciate any help, thank you.

This is a good place to start, the "Do It Yourself" thread was compiled by AnimalFarm, there's just about all the info you need to do a good setup here. Try running through/checking all the steps for doing a setup. See if you're still having trouble after that. Be careful with the truss rod if you're not familiar. Might want to leave that part to a pro if you're not comfortable ....

==> http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

This is a good place to start, the "Do It Yourself" thread was compiled by AnimalFarm, there's just about all the info you need to do a good setup here. Try running through/checking all the steps for doing a setup. See if you're still having trouble after that. Be careful with the truss rod if you're not familiar. Might want to leave that part to a pro if you're not comfortable ....

==> http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

Support your local luthier.

Ok so I got my new swingster not too long ago, and switched the stock massive jazz strings for some EB hybrid slinkies. It was grand at first, no problems at all with intonation, but I was a bit annoyed with some buzz off the E string so I adjusted the bridge. To make a long story short, the intonation is ****, I tune up the G to the A using the 5th fret of the A, and any chord is off, it seems to just be the G, but might have other minor intonation issues. Does anyone know how the bridge is to be set? Is it supposed to be higher on one end? Is this problem most likely be due to it being set too high? I appreciate any help, thank you.

When you change string guages, especially 2 or more sizes, you are going to get intonation problems. Even in if you didnt notice it at first. The strings probably settled and made it apparent.

You can set the bridge height how ever you prefer, but you are going to need to set the intonation using the screws on the bridge saddles. Definately take a look at the DIY Thread like suggested by karine_plays. It can explain things better than I am capable of.

If you've dropped down a guage or two on the strings, you'll have to deal with two things throwing off the intonation. First, your neck is going to bow back significantly due to the reduced pull of the lighter strings. This will change the distance between each saddle and the nut slot for a given string. Also, the thickness of each string will change, also contributing to intonation issues. You may find that you start to get some buzzing as the neck settles down into its new position. This can be addressed by bridge height, but you really should have the truss rod adjusted to compensate for the change of stress on the neck with the new strings. After that's done, you can adjust the intonation for each string by moving the saddle slightly forward for intonation that's gone flat, back if sharp. Adjusting the trussrod sounds intimidating but is not really. Just make very small adjustments, on the order of an eighth to quarter turn, max. I'd do this over messing with bridge height.

On a different but related note, hybrid slinkies are too light for that guitar. Semi/hollow bodies don't have great sustain to start; lightening the strings will just make it worse. 11's are about right.

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Ok well, long story. The cable recepticle disconnected cause it came loose, and the serrated end on the inside is stuck inside of the guitar somewhere, i think probably stuck tot he pickups because of the magnetism, I got it reconnected but am taking it in to get that sorted out properly. I toyed with the intonation on the hybrid slinkies, and I was unable to get both the low E and G far enough back to sort the sharpness of the fretted 12th fret, it probably as you suggested has something to do in part with the strings being too light, but I think it's possible the bridge might need to be moved back a bit. In any case I'm going to ask them to put some Power Slinkies on which are 11 to 46 I believe, and see if they can't sort the intonation without having to move the bridge. The simple fact is, as much experience as I might have playing the guitar and tuning, I'm just unfamiliar with the ins and outs of fine tuning intonation and it would be lovely if I could just have it sorted for me by an expert. I wish epiphone would just manufacture these swingsters with lighter gauge strings to begin with... I mean honestly, what percentage of those who buy it are the hardcore rockabilly/jazz sort of folks, I'm betting at least 70% switch to plain wound G and lower gauge overall for blues and rock.

I tune up the G to the A using the 5th fret of the A, and any chord is off, it seems to just be the G, but might have other minor intonation issues. Does anyone know how the bridge is to be set? Is it supposed to be higher on one end? Is this problem most likely be due to it being set too high? I appreciate any help, thank you.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec.

I am assuming the tuning method described above is either a typo, or a simple error. [biggrin]

The "D" string is tuned to the 5th fret of the "A".

The "G" string is tuned to the 5th fret of the "D".

If the above method is how you are tuning your guitar, that would explain why your chords sound "off"..

• 4 months later...

The Swingster comes with 10's on it according to this http://www2.gibson.c...ster/Specs.aspx link.

I bought mine Swingstger in Wine about a month ago and put new D'Addario 10's on it. Now the G string makes a noise at the roller birdge and it is becase when I finger pick it makes the G roller move side to side. I'm taking it back to see what they can do with it.

I am going to go for a would G string on it that would be the D'Addario 110W I already have a set of 115W waiting to try out. It is an awesome guitar, very versitle and you can get about any tone out of it.

The build quality is great and the finsh is superb along with the binding work. What a beautiful guitar.

The case I got for it is a Joe Pass Emperor case and everything fits fine.

I check the intonation on every guitar I buy, and almost always have to adjust it. Wood expands and contracts based on heat and humidity, so even with the same string gauge, it'll change year round. Only takes a tuner, flathead screwdriver, and a few minutes to do it. While you're at it, check the neck out first and see if you need to tweak the truss rod, which also only takes a minute to do. The best book I've seen is Dan Erlewine's 'How to make your guitar play great', from Stewmac. If you're self-sufficient with this simple stuff, you can save yourself a lot of money.

I check the intonation on every guitar I buy, and almost always have to adjust it. Wood expands and contracts based on heat and humidity, so even with the same string gauge, it'll change year round. Only takes a tuner, flathead screwdriver, and a few minutes to do it. While you're at it, check the neck out first and see if you need to tweak the truss rod, which also only takes a minute to do. The best book I've seen is Dan Erlewine's 'How to make your guitar play great', from Stewmac. If you're self-sufficient with this simple stuff, you can save yourself a lot of money.

i garee i have that book and also his guitar player repair guide. both books are the best investment ive made. . thats a floating bridge when changing strings specially if youtake them all off at once as i do you have to mark bridge position with tape. in case it moves . also on my gretsch i pinned the bridge to avoid this problem. . like stated above . my guitars all move with heat and humidity changes of the seasons.

id suggest getting one or both of these books because it will solve alot of problems for you and together there probably less that the cost of one luthier visit for sure.

anyhow once tou get your action height set hook up your tuner. then move the bridge to the best spot . then fine ajust the saddles. should get you back where you were

• 6 months later...
1300742157[/url]' post='887757']

When you change string guages, especially 2 or more sizes, you are going to get intonation problems. Even in if you didnt notice it at first. The strings probably settled and made it apparent.

You can set the bridge height how ever you prefer, but you are going to need to set the intonation using the screws on the bridge saddles. Definately take a look at the DIY Thread like suggested by karine_plays. It can explain things better than I am capable of.

1300742157[/url]' post='887757']

The only intonation problems should be with the single string saddles since it is a pinned bridge it should no move as a unit. The bridge on the Gretsch is not pinned and as a result you can lose the intonation when changing strings. The roller bridge should not cause a problem at all. If the strings are tight in the nut slot that could be a different story.

Archived