Gibson Brands Forums

SuperGlue Inventor Dies

drathbun

Here is a news story of the passing of Harry Coover, the inventor of Cyanoacrylate Glue (CA or SuperGlue).

Inventory of CA Glue Dies

CA glue is possibly THE most useful tool in the luthier's arsenal.

Interesting facts about CA glue:

1. mixture with cotton causes heat capable of burns and ignition
  2. mixture with baking soda creates a material strong enough to be used in the repair of bone guitar nuts
  3. various types of CA glue can be purchased from fast to slow setting and from thin to thick viscocity
  4. CA glue setting may be hastened by misting water on the glue (hence then need for keeping it stored air and moisture tight)
  5. linseed oil slows the curing process of CA glue
  6. types of CA glue are used to close wounds as it bonds skin together without the use of sutures

4.CA glue setting may be hastened by misting water on the glue (hence then need for keeping it stored air and moisture tight)

WOW...and I used to pay extra for the super glue accelerant!!

Yep! I have too. [crying]

I bet the sellers were laughing all the way to the bank [lol]

Yep! I have too. [crying]

I bet the sellers were laughing all the way to the bank [lol]

I've never tried just misting water on CA as an accelerant, but the Wikipedia said moisture is one so worth a try. I think most CA accelerators cool the CA too, so they might contain freon or something.

He seems to have stuck around for quite a time

Sure – but in the long run just couldn't keep it together.

Now seriously : One of the more specific threads seen on the board. The title itself rather spectacular. Appreciate it.

And how about that glue goin' up in flames when being close to cotton. Like me dancing with savage Lotte as a younger man.

R.I.P.

Archived