Gibson Brands Forums

339 discontinued?

hlarry14

I've been wanting an ES-339 for a while now - when I searched for one on the Sweetwater web site I got a message saying the ES-339 had been discontinued. I still see it on Gibson's site - does anyone know if it really is discontinued or about to be?

I really hope they are not discontinued.

It is a fantastic instrument at a very good price point.

I would hate to think others would never get a chance to own one.

I'm guessing that it will be around for quite some time. If you get something that works, why break it?

I really hope they are not discontinued.

It is a fantastic instrument at a very good price point.

I would hate to think others would never get a chance to own one.

I'm guessing that it will be around for quite some time. If you get something that works, why break it?

+1. Just did a quick check on GC & MF sites and both show Tobacco burst in stock, red and caramel burst due 4/6 +/-. Not sure about these days but it was a GC exclusive for quite a while.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if they dumped this one, especially given some of the loser's they've come out with the past couple of years.

According to Gibson's website "The ES-339 is only available from Musician’s Friend, Musician.com, Private Reserve, Guitar Center, Guitarsale.com, and Music 123." This really upset me because I get my guitars from the House of Guitars. The good news is that allowed the figured top ones to be sold outside of that list. Sweetwater may have had one of these. Maybe they discontnued the figured top? I don't believe they did.

I know right after the flood I had ordered one and had a long wait for the red ES-339. A lot of people at the time couldn't wait so they renigded on there orders. Maybe someone got the wrong impresion because of the long wait and started a rumor. [confused] It kinda made me think twice because of the wait. :rolleyes:[thumbup]

On March 1, I placed an order for my Es-339, antique Red, with 59 rounded neck through Musicians Friend's Private Reserve in Kansas city. I took delivery on it just two weeks ago. The manager at Musicians Friend told me that he heard Gibson might be phasing out the Antique Red 339's and were going to be making a lot more in Black. Mine was the 938th 339 made in 2011 to date. He also told me the demand was great in Europe for the 339's. Doesnt sound like the hot selling Es-339 is going to be discontinued anytime soon. The color red, maybe.

Sweetest guitar I've ever played --

Archived