Gibson Brands Forums

So I might not be the most sensitive person...

Silenced Fred

Guest FarnsBarns

If you wrote it, It's your prerogative to tell him how it's played if you so wish. Do you play any lead? Are you able to tell him exactly what to play? If not you could try asking him to stick to the main 3 or 4 notes of the chords. That'll force a minimalist approach, if that takes you even slightly closer to where you want to be. You could then tell him he can use the notes from the vocal melody to give him a little more freedom.

haha farther than you obviously cause your just ready to give up and go solo. you'll always need loud crashing drums and pounding bass and chords with rythm guitar for great bands and music. just saying that no rythm guitarist ever solos

I solo in songs more than you know.

It's not giving up to go solo, its doing solo stuff because its fun. I don't need any of that.

Are you a troll?

Are you recording you're practice sessions? If not you really should be, and each song needs to be reviewed by the band together and each song refined. You should tactfully suggest that his lead work is so great, it should be dished out in small doses so he doesn't make everyone else look bad, seriously, he needs a lesson in dynamics...how would he like it if the drummer soloed throughout the whole song?..if that doesn't work....make sure you have control of his volume pedal... [sneaky]

Actually it may not be a bad idea to get together with the other players and make a plan for everyone to solo the next time you play that song...maybe he will get it..

Nathan, show your tasteless, spastic lead guitarist some Pavement. If he doesn't figure it out after that, dump him and find someone who can play with some taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWoQBIgdk5k

Stephen Malkmus has taught me more than any other guitarist out there, which is amazing given the relatively short amount of time I've been listening to these guys.

On a related note: if your guitarist is Yngwie-ing around on a track that doesn't call for it, just be straight with him and tell him he needs to pump the brakes a little. If he's worth playing with, he'll take your suggestions for the sake of the music. Remind him that you're not playing Morbid Angel here, and while his current direction is extremely valuable in certain styles, you simply don't think that it's what the song calls for. It's not rude or unfair if you say it as simply and as honestly as that. If he doesn't at least take it into consideration then it's not worth dealing with someone with his kind of ego.

If he really doesn't bend, I'll fly out to Illinois and play lead guitar for you. [biggrin]

Nathan, show your tasteless, spastic lead guitarist some Pavement. If he doesn't figure it out after that, dump him and find someone who can play with some taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWoQBIgdk5k

Stephen Malkmus has taught me more than any other guitarist out there, which is amazing given the relatively short amount of time I've been listening to these guys.

On a related note: if your guitarist is Yngwie-ing around on a track that doesn't call for it, just be straight with him and tell him he needs to pump the brakes a little. If he's worth playing with, he'll take your suggestions for the sake of the music. Remind him that you're not playing Morbid Angel here, and while his current direction is extremely valuable in certain styles, you simply don't think that it's what the song calls for. It's not rude or unfair if you say it as simply and as honestly as that. If he doesn't at least take it into consideration then it's not worth dealing with someone with his kind of ego.

If he really doesn't bend, I'll fly out to Illinois and play lead guitar for you. [biggrin]

He's the biggest Pavement fan I know! That's what really is ****ing with my head. I don't know why but he just turned it into "let's fill as much sonic space with solos as I can". He's usually not like this, and I think it's because it's his first time recording so he feels like has to overdue it

If you're running the PC, turn him waaaaaaay down in the mix, so his over the top playing becomes a subtle background to the actual tune.

Its like your psychic because that's what I did when I woke up this morning [biggrin]

Its still there, and its a bit more prominent in the chorus [thumbup]

This is why bands split up. Differences in artistic expression.

Tell him that his last time through the song was pretty good. Now you want to try something different. Hang back and skip the solos this time around so YOU can have a turn at it.

Archived