Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Ace Frehley Real or Fake?

bigdog75043

Would like to know if this is real or fake? I appreciate any and all input.

Seems legit to me, I've never seen a fake with the USA inspection sticker before, the serial number also checks out.

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Saein Plant, Korea

July 2000

Production Number: 2253

Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd

The Saein Musical Instrument Co. Ltd. is located in the Namdong Industrial Complex in Incheon, Korea. Saein was established in July 1st 1991 and has a monthly capacity of 4,500pcs. In Oct 1st 1992, Saien Began manufacturing guitars for Epiphone, who they now consider to be their main business. They also started producing their own line of guitars called Shine in 1997. In February, 2001, a new factory was opened in Gaomi City, China. This factory boasts a monthly capacity of 10,000pcs. Saein was presented the ‘The Best Quality Award of the Year’ by Gibson Epiphone USA in 1998 and 1999.

Just got an email back from Gibson customer service. According to them the pics and serial number are consistent with the 2000 models made in Korea

Well that's what I thought, but Pete R has some reservations, he's more experienced than me, I'm interested to hear what he suspects is wrong.

From looking at the headstocks I see inconsistencies, but I dont know if they are indicitive of a fake. For instance, the truss cover engavings are lined up differently, as is the Ace Frehley head decal. Its most noticable near the tuners. Also, the binding is a bit rougher around the corners of the headstock.

I dont know if these are just quality variations though.

From looking at the headstocks I see inconsistencies, but I dont know if they are indicitive of a fake. For instance, the truss cover engavings are lined up differently, as is the Ace Frehley head decal. Its most noticable near the tuners. Also, the binding is a bit rougher around the corners of the headstock.

I dont know if these are just quality variations though.

One has tulip tuning keys the other has kidneys, the controls are placed a little differently too, one neck vol is level with the bridge, the other just below the bridge, but as you say, they could simply be quality issues, or they were made at different times.

One has tulip tuning keys the other has kidneys, the controls are placed a little differently too, one neck vol is level with the bridge, the other just below the bridge, but as you say, they could simply be quality issues, or they were made at different times.

Upon double checking my "sources", it appears the Ace Frehley did not come with tulip tuners. Could be aftermarket though, I suppose.

I remember reading a thread not too long ago, and I believe it was Peter that said the Korean guitars varied greatly when it came to the knob layout. I think they standardized it with the move to China.

I looked around the web a bit after I saw this thread. I've seen these guitars with both kidney and tulip style tuners. There's one on eBay with kidney tuners right now actually. What do you guys think about this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Ace-Frehley-Les-Paul-Classic-Electric-Guitar-/190517955869?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c5bc14d1d#ht_500wt_1156

One interesting thing I did find is that the Gibson ones were ONLY released in cherry sunburst, so if anyone sees a Gibby one in another color, it's a fake. Epi made them in other finishes though.

Er, my last post should have said "tulip" tuners. Fixed.

Supersonic, that guitar looks to match up to the Epiphone stock photos...at least by looking at the headstock.

The main thing that make me think it's legit is the USA inspection sticker, I've never seen one of those on a fake before.

My question: Was the guitar purchased NEW from a reputable dealer, or second hand? (Ebay, CraigsList,etc.). Possible the tuners may have been replaced if from a individual seller, or do all the Frehley LP's supposed to have the Kidney shape tuners?

EDIT: Here's pics of Ace with two LPs with different tuners. I guess they varied from different factories. And also with the finishes. Just my opinion. [confused]

e09enachsch1.jpg

pracefrehley.jpg

FWIW, mine is a 2004 and has the kidney shaped tuner buttons. I was lucky enough to find a NIB NOS Epi ACE thanks to Shawn. I searched for quite a while and was always leary of fakes and there are many out there. Ya gotta be real careful and do your homework!!!!!

In fact I played a fake trans black gibby ACE this weekend. It was made in china the guy bought it on line and paid around $320 for it with hsc. When I picked it up, it just didn't feel right. The neck was a slim profile, the weight felt a bit light, and the electronics were definetly not real. It sure looked nice though, it didn't have that driving power that the dimarzio super D pups have.

AceEpi.jpg

Has anyone noticed that the ones with the tulip keys dont have the "Ace Frehley" signature at the 12th fret? You dont see that on the pic of Ace holding the guitar because he's holding it at the 12th fret. Pretty clever.

I'm thinking there were some changes during the course of the guitar's production. How many years did they make this guitar?

This Ace seems pretty much on the level. Just as Rastus said, by the ser #, the axe you show in post 1 is a 2000 model made at th Sain plant in the ROK.

Looks like it was made in july of that year. The early prouction models (I think it was only the first year) had the 2 lightning bolts at the 12th fret and I'm pretty sure the tulip shaped tuners. They are suposed to be the "rare" ones that people tend to hoard. Then the ACE signature block was added to the 12th fret and the tuners were changed to the std. FAKE made in china epi Aces have the reverse signature on the 12th fret, the tuner pegs and control knobs are aligned wrong and the pups are not dimarzios!

Actually, the gibby has the pearloid tuner buttons which are correct for an ACE signature model. The allparts pearloid banjo tuner buttons will fit the Ace epi. The std pearloid buttons need to be honed a bit to fit

Has anyone noticed that the ones with the tulip keys dont have the "Ace Frehley" signature at the 12th fret? You dont see that on the pic of Ace holding the guitar because he's holding it at the 12th fret. Pretty clever.

I'm thinking there were some changes during the course of the guitar's production. How many years did they make this guitar?

According to the site on the link that I already posted, they were made form 1997-2007.

According to the site on the link that I already posted, they were made form 1997-2007.

What...I'm supposed to follow links now? WTF? lol. Jusk Kidding. I totally forgot that link was up there. Thanks for the info![thumbup]

Ten years seems like a pretty good run for a sig.

Here's a self-admitted counterfeit Gibby (probably from the same place as fake Epi's) from Toronto's Kijiji for comparison -

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-2005-Gibson-Les-Paul-Ace-Frehley-W0QQAdIdZ273058178#

"For sale is a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Ace Frehley Chinese copy with hardshell case.

This is a cool guitar plays and sounds awesome. I have swapped out the bridge pickup with a 70s Dimarzio Super Distortion just like Ace uses and it sounds and plays awesome.

I have also upgraded the wiring and pots on guitar to gibson.

$600"

1370f62_20.jpg

8550fl2_20.jpg

90682aj_20.jpg

979949g_20.jpg

Archived