Gibson Brands Forums

New forum member w/'61 SG LP Custom

papacoyote

Serial# is: 0911200018

According to some stuff I've read here, it appears to be a 1991 Chinese model.

If so... how long have these been made in China?

And, how accurate are these serial# daters?

Still waiting on delivery, so I can't really give many details.

Thanx,

& Cheers...!

:)

pc

Papacoyote,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the soon to be new guitbox.

Gibson started their Epi factory in China about 2002 if I recall. They are producing some pretty good guitars.

Serial # daters are Doggy.

Where did you buy it from?

Don't forget to post pics when you get it.

Willy

Papacoyote,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the soon to be new guitbox.

Gibson started their Epi factory in China about 2002 if I recall. They are producing some pretty good guitars.

Serial # daters are Doggy.

Where did you buy it from?

Don't forget to post pics when you get it.

Willy

Hi, Willy. Thanx for the welcome.

I got this one on eBay. I'll post pics when it arrives. :)

There's so much conflicting info about build locations, dates, etc.

Not that it's a real big 'ol deal, but I'm always digging for this kind of info on my gear.

The guy I got it from doesn't know. He thinks it's only a couple years old, but, again, he doesn't know. I don't think he's had it long... appears to sell quite a few guitars.

;^)

pc

Hi papacoyote,

and welcome here.

your SG was made

09=year

11=month

20=factorycode, DaeWon or UnSung plant, China

0018=production#

[thumbup]

Thanx for that info, Pete.

What's the reputation for the DaeWon & UnSung plants quality/build, etc., for these "customs"?

Any word out there on that?

Thanx,

pc

I have a 2007 Qingdao 3 pup G-400 LP Custom, I would suspect that it'd be a very similar beast to yours Papa, It feels great to play and it has a very good sound, but there are two quality issues I don't like, one is the paint finish is very orange-peally which is a terrible thing for a black guitar to have, black has the most depth and shows flaws much clearer, but perhaps the most important would be the neck flexes very easily making tuning stability a merely unattainable concept.

I have a 2007 Qingdao 3 pup G-400 LP Custom, I would suspect that it'd be a very similar beast to yours Papa, It feels great to play and it has a very good sound, but there are two quality issues I don't like, one is the paint finish is very orange-peally which is a terrible thing for a black guitar to have, black has the most depth and shows flaws much clearer, but perhaps the most important would be the neck flexes very easily making tuning stability a merely unattainable concept.

Thanx for the input, RaSTus. :)

Mine's the Ivory color, so most likely it'll hide any imperfections better than the black.

The reason I got the "gas" for this guitar is cuz I restrung one just like it for a friend & fell in love with the color...not to mention the quality seriously impressed me.

I've got a couple Epi Pauls too & like those a lot, as well. A cherry sunburst & a '56 Gold Top P-90.

I had a Gibson "Faded Cherry" for a while, but the fret work on the neck was so bad I had to off it.

It was very disappointing. I couldn't believe that Gibson could put out something that bad. :(

The Epi's are actually much better in that aspect.

The 'ol SG neck "flex" is something I'm familiar with. I've had a few over the years, & have 2 others now.

One Samick Artist Series, & an old '66 Melody Maker SG. The Samick neck is real solid. The friends '61 SG LP Custom felt much like that. (I hope mine will.)

The '66 MM is crazy in the "neck wang" department, but also has THE coolest feeling neck on any SG I've ever played.

I've got an old '62 Epi MM, which is the other MM body style that has the same feeling neck. Real nice. But, both have had cracks at sometime in their past.

Cheers...!

pc

I also have a Qingdao G-400 Custom 3 pup Epi but mine is an 08.Mine absolutely wails like a banshee when I put it through my JCM 800 2204 stack yet when I put it through my old Traynor Guitarmate or my Blues Jr. I can get the sweetest and mellowest jazz tones.MY daughter's boyfriend prefers mine to his '02 Gibson SG.Says mine is hotter when cranked and smoother at low volumes.

I have an oct. '10 Antique Ivory LPC3-SG, (also Chinese), and the quality is on par with any Gibson I have, and better than many i've played in retail stores........got it about 6 weeks ago, and also prefer the tones the Epi produce to my SG Std......

they're both great guitars, but the Epi puts out sounds that my Gibby just won't make.

RaSTuS & I discovered that all 3 volume knobs (it's VVVT not VTVT) have treble bleed caps on them, and I attribute the incredible tones it gives to this.

As for the tuning issue he mentions, i've not experienced it myself.....not had to re-tune any more than with any other high quality guitar I have, but I AM fixing to install a set of gold Gibson Deluxe Vintage tuners on it, purely for aesthetics.

here's something to drool over......

GarysCam178.jpg

GarysCam181.jpg

GarysCam182.jpg

EDIT: just a BTW.....if you ever get tired of the P-90 buzz the Gold Top p'ups produce in all 3 positions, Guitar Fetish sells a set of "Dream 180 Soapbar" p'ups that keep the P-90 tone, kill the buzz, and are mounted in cream or black soap-bars.

The buzz was making me absolutely crazy, and unlike a properly wound set with one p'up reverse wound reverse polarized to kill the buzz in the middle 3-way position, these buzzed no matter the position.

They sound amazing, and look great too.....

GarysCam163.jpg

Archived