Gibson Brands Forums

refinnishing, rewiring and modding my epi sherraton

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

Today I received my StewMac catalogue and I have made a decision to strip the finish, and the wiring, pots, pups, switch and tuners from my Epi Sheraton.

I'm gonna refinish it, fit 57 classics, CTS pots, coil taps, maybe a Bigsby, reshape the headstock (its just too big), change the tuners, maybe a BRW board (if I can find a luthier who will part with one).

I know Gibson won't tolerate a thread which involves replication of their instruments or adding their logo to a non Gibson or Epiphone but will they allow me to do a thread which involves removing the logo? (that's inevitable if I do what I intend to the headstock).

Guest FarnsBarns

Do it....Please.......................[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ..........

I will! I am waiting for a reply about a BRW board and some funds to become available for pups and the other little bits. Have also been looking for some info on the construction of the thing. I have a half idea about taking the front off but I want to know more about what i'll find before I do.

Anyone got any links? Or first hand knowledge?

This sounds way too fun to not do. We could all learn lots from this. I would'nt worry too much about what Gibson thinks regarding your project, there are other websites. So long as you feel good about what you are doing. Gibson as a company could learn some things as well, and so long as the intention is in good spirits, all is good.

Regarding the "logo" on the headstock, there seem to be many opinions but for the most part I think most feel so long as you are not doing it in an attempt to fraud anyone, it is not a big deal. It really has to do with your intentions. Putting a gibson logo or a fender logo is generally considered bad taste, but in situations where it is considered ok are when the luthier is making a copy of a particular vintage instrument. And by copy, that is an instrument that is meant to be a replica and built with such care that the instrument is really a showcase of knowledge and skill in understanding and duplicating the build of an icon. Such instruments are much harder to build and not cost effective in trying to fool someone or make the guitar more valueable, and if they are not done to spec where they could fool anyone, it is considered poor taste. If they are well done, misrepresenting them as genuine articles makes the whole point moot, and makes the maker look bad.

In one instance, I came across this well respected and known guitarist who had what appeared to be a rediculasly expensive vintage instruments on his tour with him. They were actually tokai's and Aria's with headstocks grafted on them, and were obviously for show. When asked or complimented, he quickly disclosed what they were. Agian, the taste thing. He thought it was cool for show but not cool to try and fool anyone.

I realize this is not your topic, but I thought it might generate some thought on what you might want to do.

Guest FarnsBarns

I've been advised not to coil tap 57 classics, anyone got any recommendations on a PAF type pup good for tapping?

I've been advised not to coil tap 57 classics, anyone got any recommendations on a PAF type pup good for tapping?

Why not? Is there a good reason not too? I mean, besides the fact it comes with a 2 conductor standard? (any pup regardless of what wire it COMES with is fair game in my book).

Guest FarnsBarns

Why not? Is there a good reason not too? I mean, besides the fact it comes with a 2 conductor standard? (any pup regardless of what wire it COMES with is fair game in my book).

Because they are only 7.5k giving you a 3.75k single coil.

Archived