Gibson Brands Forums

Just saw a new "orange" SG

Kzin

Souds like one of the "VOS" '61 Reissues. They look like that, quite often.

I guess(?), it's to simulate what a "vintage" guitar would look like, now..after

years of the original finish, "fading." There are a lot of others, here, that

have expressed similar concerns. (Smile) I can't/won't speak, for others, but "I"

would MUCH prefer, if Gibson would offer those very same guitars, in the darker,

richer Red color, that say a USA "Standard" comes in. But, I love the other "specs"

on the VOS versions. The "Better" (IMHO) beveling..wider and deeper, for one thing,

that was typical, of the early 60's SG's.

CB

I just saw a new SG in a store with that almost light orange colour instead of the deep, dark red some of you guys have mentioned. It did't look pretty. Why would they make them like that?

Natural burst maybe? Darker on the edges? Google it for pics.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been to my local guitar shop here in UK. they had both an SG Classic and a standard that looked very orange. All gibsons in the shop also had the problem with overly thick clear coat that is very noticeable where it is over the neck binding. Compare to my 2009 clssic that is a nice red and has a much more refined finish.

Once again, there was not a single Gibson in that shop that I would have been happy to take home from a paint finish perspective.

I now do this all the time - checking the finish on the Gibsons in the shop. It seems that the default at the moment is very poor. I cant actually remember the last time I saw a good one! (I should note that they are mostly standard models not custom shop). I have also noticed some poor pieces of wood appearing (grain far from linear) maybe a sign of the shortage of mahogany.

Just been to my local guitar shop here in UK. they had both an SG Classic and a standard that looked very orange. All gibsons in the shop also had the problem with overly thick clear coat that is very noticeable where it is over the neck binding. Compare to my 2009 clssic that is a nice red and has a much more refined finish.

Once again, there was not a single Gibson in that shop that I would have been happy to take home from a paint finish perspective.

I don´t get it. Why would they make them in that awfull orange hue? Did someone actually think it looked good, or did they run out of red paint or what?

last time I took my wife in with me (She knows nothing about guitars but has a very good eye for colour, being something of an interior designer/artist.) I showed her one of the "orange" classics they had in and asked her for her opinion as compared to the theoretically identical guitar I have in our house.

Her instant opinion - the guitar in the shop was nowhere near as pretty and wasnt really red at all. And this from a woman who revels in telling me when I am wrong!

Archived