Gibson Brands Forums

Why Mod, what is the benefit??

I bought Valve Junior Head of Craigslist over the weekend, and i am sure glad I did!!!!!!

This thing is awesome. I have played through about every small wattage

tube amp out there(name one and I probably have) and this one really fits the bill. All of the low wattage tube amps are built for on purpose in mind, to get that overdriven tube crunch at low volumes . This one sounds just as good cranked up as a high priced boutique,seriously!!! I just sold a VHT Special 6 Ultra on ebay and this EPI is just as good as that one. I thought about getting one of those mod kits for the Epi(Bit Mo Mods). But I am not sure if I really need to. This thing has good head room before breaking up. It cleans up real good at low volumes with the volume down on the amp and also using the guitar volume to tweak. It really suprised me in that area. The other ones that I tried did not perform as a well in that as well as the Epi did in that aspect.

Probably my best investment as of late. You probably could play a small club with this running through a PA no problem. I have a 410(Sunn cab that I rebuilt) and a 115 cab(Peavey Classic) that I use. It sounds great through both, but I want to daisy chain them so I can push both at once. I am definetly not a gear snob . I really dont go for the big brand names all of the time. Don't own a Fender never will, can't afford a GibsonPRS ,are you kidding me!!!. I think I have quality gear that does not require a second mortgage and I have received compliments from other musicians who are the Fender/Gibson, PRS, boutique, high end guys( sorry if I sound conceded, I don't mean to.) If you know how to steer your gear you can make it work. Tone just does not come from your amp and guitar, it comes from your hands and heart. Sounds kinda cheesey, but oh well.

Maybe it's all in what your ears like, but Epiphone hit a homerun with this in my opinion. I guess if you like more bells and whistles, go for it, but then it's not what it was made to be, it's a different amp.

I'm guessing by the reference to the Bitmo mod that it's a VJr (but that's just a guess!)

And likely a v3 ..... the v1s are buzzy, hummy lil beasts. I have one of each (v1 combo, v3 head'n'cab), and I like 'em both ..... the buzz from the v1 reminds me of my first 5w Ampeg amp (late '60's, single coil Harmony Bobkat [thumbup] ) .... makes me feel warm and fuzzy, the hum is kind of narcotic-like ..... but I digress... Yeah, the VJr is what it is, and makes no bones about it. Wonder what Epi is going to do 'bout a replacement??? And what happened to the VSr's ??? Is Epi giving up on the amp market? Would be a shame, really...

• 4 weeks later...

I must say that the descriptives don't match any stock Vjr I've ever heard. I find them to be mushy, dark, almost devoid of headroom at all, and pretty uninspiring, in stock form. Modified, that's a totally different story. My El34 conversion is one of my favorite amps, even if only pushing 7 watts. Before it became a turret board build, I went through every Marsally mod I could, including an OT upgrade. Everything I did dramatically improved the amp, but the rebuild to SE EL34 was spectacular.

But, whatever works for the individual is what matters. If someone can get inspired by the stock amp, more power to them. Regardless of what I may think of the tone of the stock amp, they're still pretty cool little critters.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived