Gibson Brands Forums

Nuts!

BoyVader

Was going to ask this in the acoustic section, but thought it might be a bit of fun here...

Just got my new Hummingbird...lovely...loving it, everything better than expected, apart from a bit of 'sticky' neck..I'm sure that will settle down, and it got me to thinking this is the first guitar I've ever owned with a bone nut..

Cool, but what bone? Obviously animal...but what animal and what part? Anybody have any ideas? :-k

You want fun? How bout this:

The only appropriate bone for a fingerboard nut would be a human finger bone, of course!

Ok, Is it a glossy neck? Cuz that'll feel sticky at first- skin vacuum and all. It breaks in later though and will feel fine. Just keep playin, and use guitar polish whenever you start to get stuck again. Worked for me. I don't even polish it anymore and I don't get stuck.

Cow or ox bone out of china about 90% of the time, but camel bone, buffalo, horse leg bones even work almost any dense solid bone will work.

Yup and they stink like hell when you are cutting, sanding and shaping them[blink]

Mostly long thin cuts from the radius of the long bones that's why many blanks have some slight cupping or curve before being sanded. Very true about the smell many days have I worked on guitars and wondered which actually smelled worse the burning hair reek of working bone or the the carrion smell of dead animals that a warming pot of hide glue puts out and together in combination it's hard to forget and almost unbearable without strong Cinnamon flavored gum or menthol rub. [crying]

Archived