Gibson Brands Forums

K.K. Downing Retires from Judas Priest

dem00n

What a Jerk! Can't he just hold it together for one more tour? He's really going to do a 41 year run as founding member and longest running guitarist in Judas Priest, just to give his duties over to some Johnny Come Lately hired gun?

Whatever, dude [thumbdn]

I tried to get information on the net, but there is nothing, no reasons, no dirt, nothing. and apparantly, this is fresh news.

I did notice something a little odd though. They had the replacement already picked out and it was announced at the same time.

I did those guys (don't know them personally) and the music they do(did). I think it sicks that Downing has left, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

and thus ends one of the greatest guitar duos in rock history....... [crying]

I'm a big fan of J/P, and especially the one album no-one else seems to like....'83s "Defenders of the Faith".

"The Sentinel" is my favorite Priest tune. "Rock Hard/Ride Free" is another.

I did some digging while Gibson was down.

I am surprised there isn't much more talk of this here, this is like, really big news, ain't it?

Anyway, it seems that it IS a disagreement that is the reason. But, oddly and to thier credit, it seems also that they still love each other quite a bit, and respect each other as well. That is what I understand from their official statements and comments so far.

I also found a little chat going on on a HALFORD site by fans, and it seems that some think that Mr. Tipton has a thing with management in that he sides with them and doesn't side with the rest of the band, or something like that. Of corse, this is rumor, and may be way wrong.

Wow!

Amazing after all this time that a management dispute would cause the break up....

People are fascinating.

I think we all have to give any management more credit than they usually get. Without management, there is no machine and a lot of the planning and work that goes into a band has to be done by a management team of some sorts.

Hvaing said that, it is obvious that this has been brewing for some time, and I have to think that Mr. Downing was to a point that such a drastic measure was the only way he could assert himself, and I have a feeling that he may think of this as also of some benifit to the rest of the members of the band as well.

While many are saying the Preist should hang it up, I think it is worth considering that to cancel a tour would have extremely negative financial and working consequences.

Archived